Fighting bitches (split from another post)

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

PikiPiki

Re: Fighting bitches (split from another post)

Post by PikiPiki »

I learned a lot in this thread. Thanks C:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

laurah5107 wrote: We have been diligently keeping the dogs separated and we are hoping and praying that we have seen the last of the fights. But ---- I still want to be prepared in case something happens (the Dane and my little dog can open all the french doors from the backyard into the house. We've begun locking them all when we let dogs out but it is possible someone will forget and the pit and the Dane will end up inside together. I hope this doesn't happen but better to be prepared).
No, under no circumstances are these dogs to be able to get together, the next time the Pit attacks could kill your Dane, it is up to you to protect your Dane by making sure the Pit never gets to her.

I have a dog that can open doors and windows, I have locks on my internal doors now and the outside doors are always kept locked. She can open my caravan windows so they are now chained down, anything less than a chain she can chew through. People think it is funny but they are not living with her, it won't be funny if something happens to her when she escapes. It is my job to protect her and make sure she is safe.

Bonnie used to attack Ellie when Ellie had breathing problems, once they were sorted Bonnie was fine, once I realised when Ellie was being attacked I was able to get her breathing sorted a lot earlier thanks to Bonnie's warning of trying to kill her.

I suspect that there is something wrong with your Dane which isn't showing up, your Pit knows this and is being a dog by killing her, this is normal dog behaviour but for your Dane's sake you must not let the Pit get to her.

You are a good owner to your dogs but this is something outside your experience and knowledge which is why you came here. If your Pit does get to her and kills her you will never forgive yourself because you adore both of them, you will never be the same with the Pit either because she killed the Dane, there is more than the Dane that needs protecting, your Pit and yourself need this protection as well.

You cannot afford a mistake by letting these 2 meet.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Has your Dane seen a vet recently? If so, did the vet notice any signs of pain or anything unusual?
laurah5107

Post by laurah5107 »

I am one of those owners that panics over just about anything. The only vet visits for the Dane lately have been to be put back together and to remove stitches. She's had problems with urinary tract infections and there is a lump on her side back near her hip. Vet said it was a limpoma and on alot of older dogs. My daughter is a vet tech and I think I'll have her take the Dane in with her to the office and do an ultrasound and xray (as long as it doesn't take anesthesia).

I think all the dogs knew my Poodle was dying of metastic lung cancer when they started pushing her around (she'd been alpha).

On an amusing note - last night my brother-in-law gave us a stun gun and pepper spray. They're for my daughter who lives out in the country on her horse farm. But my son, home from college, couldn't resist playing with the stun gun. It makes that electrical noise and there are the sparks. He didn't do it on anyone but the first time he did it my Dane jumped off the couch and ran for the bedroom. My little dog and my big male ignored it. And my idiot pitbull gave a growl and headed towards it. Dumb or Brave?
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Has anything changed? Have you followed the guidelines here?