Super social puppy question

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thebriarrose

Super social puppy question

Post by thebriarrose »

We have a five month old German Shepherd puppy. This is our first dog we are raising from being a puppy and I had a question.

Is it normal that he really, really, really wants to play with every, single dog he sees? He walks better than most adult dogs on walks, but when he sees a dog he gets all happy tail waggy and pulls to get over to them. If we walk away, he just keeps looking at them with intense interest, but will eventually return his focus to the walk- no barking, nothing but pulling and longing, forlorn looks at his passing playmate. Instead of walking away, we are doing focus work with "watch me" and "leave it" using very high value food rewards and toys when dogs walk nearby- does wonders.

The times we let him greet the dog he sniffs appropriately and then starts playing appropriately (don't worry, he does get lots of socialization with other dogs- they're just the ones we know and choose). The problem? Not every dog is friendly, nor do we want him greeting every dog he sees- especially during our training classes! We live in the heart of Chicago so we see a TON of dogs!

I have a pretty good idea on how to work on this behavior (see above), but I was wondering if this is puppy-specific behavior and something he will likely grow out of? Or an interest that may decrease with age?

I know there are, of course, adult dogs like this as well; but a few trainers and dog experts told me not to worry and shrugged this off as a puppy thing. And while I tend to agree, I just wanted to get yall's input since you seem so very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly!
Dibbythedog

Re: Super social puppy question

Post by Dibbythedog »

He sounds a normal pup to me :D
Alison
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I'd have said pretty normal puppy behaviour too to be honest. I think you're doing the right thing by teaching him to leave it when told though, as you say not all dogs are going to appreciate that he wants to say hi and play. My border collie mix grew out of this sort of behaviour and had little interest in other dogs as an adult. He was polite if approached but that was it. My rottie mix though never grew out of it. At 14 years old he'd still act the same as he did as a 14 week old pup when he saw another dog.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You are doing just fine :)

It's normal puppy to want to investigate every other dog, but not every other dog wants to be investigated by a large exuberant puppy, so I really commend you for realising this.

In dog language, part of the investigation is an assesment of the other dog's strength. This can tip over into pushy rude behaviour (not saying it will, but it can) and from there to challenge and scrap. Intelligent as GSDs are, they also like to 'press other dogs' buttons' and get a reaction from them. Not saying yours is but most try. This is not just your breed but several. It can be a very unpleasant experience for other dogs and owners, and lead to unwanted reactions.

It is good to allow interaction with dogs and owners that are happy with this, but only if you are happy too, and the instant one dog tries to bully the other, end the interaction by removing your dog. Sounds as if you already know this, so I am simply offering support and confirming you are right with what you are doing.

Because GSDs have a herding instinct, thye can get very intense with other dogs, so watch for crouching and staring as other dogs approach, and move him away before he lunges. The trainers you have spoken with should not have been so dismissive, because you will one day have a large powerful dog, and now is the best time to teach him his manners.

So THANK YOU very much for doing so, and I wish more people did what you are doing :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS