Darting out of the house and biting

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

yummybagel

Darting out of the house and biting

Post by yummybagel »

I have a two year old male Beagle. He doesn't have a very strong recall, but we're working on that.
Today, right after Bagel came back from his exercise, my mom, my sister and I decided to go to the store. We were leaving, and it was really windy so I think the wind kind of blew the door open. We were going in the car, and I heard a jingle and saw Bagel running out into our front yard. I was so freaked out and so were my sister and my mom..I tried to stay calm, and cheerfully said "let's go!", hoping that he will come to me. But I guess he was too smart for that. Then I got a treat, tried to lure him to me but he was too smart for that too. He wouldn't take the bait. He just ran around our front yard like crazy, and then ran towards this football field near our house. We followed him, trying to get him to be interested in the treat, which he normally likes very much (a freeze dried beef liver), but he just ran around like crazy until he started pooping (sorry) in the field. I was thinking, wow we got lucky, and my sister went up to put the leash on him. We have a harness for him, and a collar which we put on him whenever we go outside. His harness was off but he still had his collar on him, so while he was pooping my sister held on to the collar, and tried to put the harness on. The harness was only half on (just hanging from his neck, my sister wasn't able to clip it), when he was done pooping, and suddenly let out a growl and bit her hand..It didn't draw blood but left a mark. I don't understand what caused him to react this way. I know it's hard to know specifically over the internet, but what are some of the possibilities that could have caused him to show aggression like that?

And also, if something like this happens again (i'm hoping not) how can I deal with it better? Are there other good ways to get him to come back to me besides working on the recall?
emmabeth

Re: Darting out of the house and biting

Post by emmabeth »

Its really really difficult when something like that happens, and I would say he bit because he was wound up and a little bit scared (has he got any reason to suspect he will get yelled at once hes been caught, or in trouble when someone has hold of his collar?).

You need to come up with a plan that means he can't get out of the door as you leave, this might mean baby gates or crating or shutting him in another room so thtere is at least one other door between him and the door you leave the house by.

Keep working on his recall, the other thing to do is get him having a REALLY good sit, where he will sit wherever, whenever you say it, off lead, on lead, when moving, whatever. Sit must ALWAYS mean something awesome is giong to happen so make sure you dont ask for it say when you need to do his nails or he gets a shot from the vet or anything unpleasant. Also be wary that you don't taint either the recall or the sit cue by ALWAYS clipping on his lead and going home after saying it or he will get wise to that too.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

yummybagel wrote:I have a two year old male Beagle. He doesn't have a very strong recall, but we're working on that.
Today, right after Bagel came back from his exercise, my mom, my sister and I decided to go to the store. We were leaving, and it was really windy so I think the wind kind of blew the door open. We were going in the car, and I heard a jingle and saw Bagel running out into our front yard. I was so freaked out and so were my sister and my mom.
Check your door and make sure that the wind can't blow it open in future, I have bolts on my doors because Dolly can open them, even turning the handle the wrong way didn't work, it just make it easier for her. :lol: I put small bolts on now, they work. :D
I tried to stay calm, and cheerfully said "let's go!", hoping that he will come to me. But I guess he was too smart for that. Then I got a treat, tried to lure him to me but he was too smart for that too. He wouldn't take the bait. He just ran around our front yard like crazy, and then ran towards this football field near our house. We followed him, trying to get him to be interested in the treat, which he normally likes very much (a freeze dried beef liver), but he just ran around like crazy until he started pooping (sorry) in the field.
Doesn't work, he thought you were joining in the game, I don't do anything but watch my dog when they get loose, if I do it makes them run more. Joe used to be the worst because his previous owner had beaten him for running like this.
I was thinking, wow we got lucky, and my sister went up to put the leash on him. We have a harness for him, and a collar which we put on him whenever we go outside. His harness was off but he still had his collar on him, so while he was pooping my sister held on to the collar, and tried to put the harness on. The harness was only half on (just hanging from his neck, my sister wasn't able to clip it), when he was done pooping, and suddenly let out a growl and bit her hand..It didn't draw blood but left a mark. I don't understand what caused him to react this way. I know it's hard to know specifically over the internet, but what are some of the possibilities that could have caused him to show aggression like that?
I ALWAYS clip the lead to the collar as soon as I get to my dog, I then have my dog safe and he can't run off again, once the lead is on the collar I can then put a harness on if needed, I don't normally bother if I am taking my dog back into my house.

Your dog was all excited, he had a wonderful game then in a field someone tried to put a harness on him when all he wanted to do was run and run and run.
And also, if something like this happens again (i'm hoping not) how can I deal with it better? Are there other good ways to get him to come back to me besides working on the recall?
Don't attempt to get him at first, wait, I often walk the other way to pick up a lead and treats as I don't normally have them on me. When you have a dog like Dolly who can open doors and windows you learn how to stay calm. :lol:

Don't call your dog either, all you will do is teach him that he doesn't have to come when you call, you can talk to him in a very excited voice to make yourself more interesting. Jump up and down, wave your arms about, have a party, play hide and seek. You need to keep his attention, he will eventually stop running if you don't join in the game but have one yourself. I have in the past even sat down and counted the blades of grass, it worked, my dog was so curious that he came to see what I was looking at, of course he was rewarded. :lol:

Don't wait to put his harness on, clip a lead onto the collar or put somthing through the collar so you have him.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

yummybagel wrote:And also, if something like this happens again (i'm hoping not) how can I deal with it better? Are there other good ways to get him to come back to me besides working on the recall?
My other half was dreadful for being careless at the door, so our dogs would occassionly get out. For the one dog we used to open the car door, that never failed, as he thought he was going for a run over the fields. For the other dog we learned to ignore her completely, we could guarantee she would be running back home within 2 minutes. If we went after her she would keep runnning away.