Border collie redirecting aggression (split post)

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cassie

Border collie redirecting aggression (split post)

Post by cassie »

aggression
by cassie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:18 am

hi i,m new to the forum.i have a 7 month border collie male.he has such a good nature and loves my children..when i take him for a walk we pass a garden with 4 dogs.they race to the gate really vicious.my dog retaliates.ive started puting a muzzle on him until i get past them but this morning he managed to get his muzzle off and turned to try and get to them.he bit me on the leg just above the knee.he broke the skin and its really bruised.ive been so upset since.i don,t know what to do
Wicket

Re: Border collie redirecting aggression (split post)

Post by Wicket »

Cassie, do you mind giving a break down of your day--food, exercise, socializing (if any)--as well as a more detailed picture about these incidents with your Border collie?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Can you walk another way? His reaction is perfectly understandable and if he is getting this amount of threat every time he is walked, it isn't doing any of you any good at all.

How close to the gate do you have to get? Is it possible to cross the road at that point?

When we know more about his daily routine, we can help more for the long-term - but this will help reduce his anxiety in the meantime. :)
Last edited by Nettle on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
cassie

Post by cassie »

thanks for help.just going for a walk now.i will definately be avoiding them.its a small village and theres not many directions i can take.the other way has the same problem.we are stuck in the middle.lol.i will be on later and give you our daily routine.thankyou.x
cassie

Post by cassie »

Wicket wrote:Cassie, do you mind giving a break down of your day--food, exercise, socializing (if any)--as well as a more detailed picture about these incidents with your Border collie?
hi wicket.thanks for replying.hes a very sociable dog.loves people and playing with other dogs.its when they are behind a gate,especialy this one as it has 4 labs.we have met them when we are out and he just wants to play with them and they ignore him.as we are getting closer to the gate he starts crying.they are really agressive towards him and hes the same now.i don,t know what happened yesterday.things got out of hand.i have 3 boys and another dog.they are all great together.hes a lovely dog.his name is zikko.he gets his doggy treats in the morning then has his walk along with my other dog heidi.they are off the lead most of the way because its woodland then goes on the lead when i get to the road.my dad comes up every day and takes them out again then the boys come in and he has a game of footie.his favourite pass time.for dinner he gets bakers dried food which he loves then my husband and i take them both another walk.he sleeps after that.has a wee at bedtime then sleeps sound all night.at the weekend he goes to my sister-in-laws and has a great time.loves playing on the trampoline.we all just adore him.i know what caused this yesterday and will avoid it.i,m worried when he is out with the boys it could happen.if theres any way i could overcome this i will give it a try.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ok first of all...ditch the Bakers! The dogs seem to love it in the same way kids love McDonalds or junk food (and some adults too!!) because it is packed full of flavourings, additives and basically all sorts of bad things. We wouldnt want to eat McDonals all day every day would we? But that is what Bakers is like to dogs.....and apart from health problems it could cause long term due to the high value of salt/flavouring etc, it can cause hyper activity and behaviourla issues in some dogs, and when they are taken off it, and changed to a better food brand, these issues improve.
cassie

Post by cassie »

ladybug1802 wrote:Ok first of all...ditch the Bakers! The dogs seem to love it in the same way kids love McDonalds or junk food (and some adults too!!) because it is packed full of flavourings, additives and basically all sorts of bad things. We wouldnt want to eat McDonals all day every day would we? But that is what Bakers is like to dogs.....and apart from health problems it could cause long term due to the high value of salt/flavouring etc, it can cause hyper activity and behaviourla issues in some dogs, and when they are taken off it, and changed to a better food brand, these issues improve.
my other dog has been eating it for a few years.god i didnt know that.what should i give them.tinned food doesnt agree with my older dog and i don,t want to give them seperate foods.thankyou for this information.x
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

What to feed depends on where you live, there are different foods in the UK and the USA. I feed Wainwrights salmon and potato myself. It's not the best of the best but it's not absolute junk either and it's the one my dog does best on. If you're in the UK others to look into are Burns, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved and Fish4Dogs. They may seem expensive but you generally end up having to feed quite a bit less of them so it doesn't work out so bad. Pretty much any food you can get at a regular shop is going to be crap unfortunately.

I don't blame your dog for reacting to be honest. I have a similar situation with mine, at one point in our walk we have the choice of whether to walk closest to the Schnauzer that's raging at its fence on one side of the road or the Akita raging at its fence on the other side of the road. The houses are directly opposite so we have to pick one or the other and there is no way of avoiding them if we want to let Rupert off leash.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

as Sarah has said, there are lots of much better kibbles around, and the ones Sarah mentions are good ones!
cassie

Post by cassie »

Sarah83 wrote:What to feed depends on where you live, there are different foods in the UK and the USA. I feed Wainwrights salmon and potato myself. It's not the best of the best but it's not absolute junk either and it's the one my dog does best on. If you're in the UK others to look into are Burns, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved and Fish4Dogs. They may seem expensive but you generally end up having to feed quite a bit less of them so it doesn't work out so bad. Pretty much any food you can get at a regular shop is going to be crap unfortunately.

I don't blame your dog for reacting to be honest. I have a similar situation with mine, at one point in our walk we have the choice of whether to walk closest to the Schnauzer that's raging at its fence on one side of the road or the Akita raging at its fence on the other side of the road. The houses are directly opposite so we have to pick one or the other and there is no way of avoiding them if we want to let Rupert off leash.
ive never heard of any of those.i will have a look on the internet.is pedigree chum not any good.i,m in scotland.x