Barking at strangers

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ajeno

Barking at strangers

Post by Ajeno »

I have an Alaskan Malamute cross German Shepherd. Her name is Shiloh, and is 10 years old.
Since birthday, she's never trusted strangers. Being a puppy, it wasnt a problem. But now she's a adult, and fully grown, when people come up to her (as she's a people magnet!) she's goes off on one! Barking at them. To my knowledge she's never bitten anyone. Some people say she's nipped them, but I think it's becuase she cant stop during her charging towards them.
PLEASE PLEASE! could you help me combat this problem. I want people to be able to come up to her and give her some attention, instead of her scaring them away. I'm more concerned that one day she might end up actually biting someone. We have tried the "strangers throwing treats", but she seems more content at barking at them.
At home, she charges at people coming into the house, and attacks the newspapers and letters as they come through the door. I think this has more to do with the fact that a stranger has put something through the door, than what comes through the door.
What can I do. I really need your help!

Thanks

Orion
ladybug1802

Re: Barking at strangers

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ok first of all....why do you want people to come up to her and give her attention when she clearly doesnt like it and is scared?? She is 10 years old and has been clearly trying to tell you she isnt happy with strangers coming that close, but by not listening and forcing her to get close enough to be out of her comfort zone, you are I'm afraid scaring her more and probably making her behaviour worse.

Once she is too close to the people (the thing she finds scary) and is reacting and barking, treats wont make any difference as she wont be able to focus on them.

Lungeing at people coming in the house is also another way of her fear of strangers showing.

So what you need to do is make sure strangers DO NOT approach her, try to touch her or lok her in the eyes (that last part is VERY important). She may be a 'people magnet' as you say and look cute and cuddly (I have that problem with my dog), but YOU have to be the one to tell strangers to not approach your dog or touch her or look at her. You can keep her at a distance she feels safe from people, BEFORE she is reacting, and that is the distance and time to treat her and reward her big time. But once she is barking and lungheing, it is too close for her....and then you must turn around and move her away.

'Flooding' (exposing her to as many people as possible, getting more people to approach her, in the hope she will 'get used to it') sadly does not work and simply will make her more scared. Believe me I know....that was what I tried withmy dog initially...and it made him worse. But now.....different dog! I will always ask strangers and people he doesnt know well to not approach him or touch him and most importantly, to not look at him in the eyes as this freaks him out massively. But now, he can be around groups of people, walk through them, past them etc with no problems.

Keeping her away from people may seem like avoiding the issue, but it really isnt. She needs to de-stress, which means not getting her close enough to strangers for her to react. The more she isnt close enough where she feels she has to bark and tell these people to go away (which is what she is doing) it will become less of a habit. She will start to see you as her protector, and will realise you wont always push her out her comfort zone. It does take time, so you need to be patient....and bear in mind this poor girl has had her entire life being scared and not being listened to so it is an ingrained habit for her.

And with people coming to the house, is she crate trained? If so I would keep her out of the way (in the crate if she is crate trained) when people come in...in another room, behind a baby gate. Having her by the door when people come in is too much for her.....the adrenaline takes over and she freaks out. so keep her away. What is she like once people are in the house?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Ajeno wrote:I have an Alaskan Malamute cross German Shepherd. Her name is Shiloh, and is 10 years old.
Since birthday, she's never trusted strangers. Being a puppy, it wasnt a problem. But now she's a adult, and fully grown, when people come up to her (as she's a people magnet!) she's goes off on one! Barking at them. To my knowledge she's never bitten anyone. Some people say she's nipped them, but I think it's becuase she cant stop during her charging towards them.
PLEASE PLEASE! could you help me combat this problem. I want people to be able to come up to her and give her some attention, instead of her scaring them away. I'm more concerned that one day she might end up actually biting someone. We have tried the "strangers throwing treats", but she seems more content at barking at them.
Why do you want people to go up to her and pet her? I hate it when people do that to my dogs, one is extremely nervous of strange people, I don't give her the chance to bite by not allowing people to go up to her. I don't like rats, if someone insisted on my stroking their rat I would be terrified and wouldn't go back there again, you dog doesn't have this choice because you are insisting on her being approached and touched by people she is frightened of.
At home, she charges at people coming into the house, and attacks the newspapers and letters as they come through the door. I think this has more to do with the fact that a stranger has put something through the door, than what comes through the door.
What can I do. I really need your help!

Thanks

Orion
This is normal, all my dogs will do this if they get the chance, I don't let them have access to the door by keeping them behind another closed door.

We need more information to help you, please give a run down of her normal day including food, exercise, training etc. The more information you give us the better we will be able to help, we love long posts. :D In the meantime keep other people away from her before she does bite.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Ajeno

Post by Ajeno »

This is very useful. Certainly nothing I expected. Ok, so the theory of bringing her "anciety" (did I spell that right?) down has gone completely out of the window.
I can unstand why she would be scared of people, as I suspect she wasnt treated well from the place where to got her as a puppy. Also, where I used to live, I had to go to work, and leave them out in the garden on their own (I also used to have another dog called Tasia), but I found out, after getting a cctv installed, that kids were banging on the fence, making her go nutty! Ok, so I need to bring her attention away from strangers, and let her stay in her comfort zone. Good plan.
Her daily routine is alittle eratic at the moment, as we have moved. Even more strangers for her to cope with.
she gets walked twice a day for the school runs (each walk lasting about half an hour). Then she stays at home with Marie and I (Marie being my fiancee.(which is kind of strange because she accepted Marie and the Kids instantly)). We play in the garden, when she isn't barking at the kids and their parents next door (I need advice on that too). And finally at night, has the run of most of the house. She's well behaved.
How can I get Shiloh to enjoy being out in the garden when the kids are playing next door?

Oh! and THANKS BIG TIME for giving me this advice..

Orion