My dad wants to kill my dog, no joke. PLEASE help

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

doglover27

My dad wants to kill my dog, no joke. PLEASE help

Post by doglover27 »

My dad often orders things online and they are shipped to our house. The company puts the package right inside the fence. If we are not outside when this happens, my dogs tears up the package and the contents of it, even if we are home and right inside. He doesn't even bark or anything when they come to give us any indication the package has arrived. My dad spends a lot of money on things like motorcycle parts, and he gets REALLY mad when the stuff gets eaten and torn up, for good reason. When I get home and discoverer the mess, the dog KNOWS he has been bad. Recently we had a scare with a possibility he may have eaten something that could kill him. Luckily he didn't, but my dad wants to kill him. What can I do? We don't want to leave the dog in the kennel all day, because the packages come any time between 10 am and 5pm, but we can't be home with him all day either. Is there anything I can do?
jacksdad

Re: My dad wants to kill my dog, no joke. PLEASE help

Post by jacksdad »

ok, first, your dog doesn't know he has been bad. nature does not do right and wrong, good and bad. your dog has no way of knowing that these randomly available boxes belong to someone else, because nature also does do concept of property even if your not around to guard it.

what your dog does know is that your body language is scary and threatening and his body language response is "please do not attack me, see I am not a threat I am backing down". rather than "oh I am so guilty and sorry".

the solution is have the packages delivered some place else. or alter the fencing where it is currently being delivered so your dog can't get to it.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Why can't the dog go & stay inside the house?
OR-- add a gate /fencing a several feet behind where pkgs are dropped off so that the dog stays behind it & can't get to pkgs OR see if a neighbor will allow pkgs to be delivered to their house.
Let us know what decision is made.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Put a secure plastic tub by the fence where people put packages. Put a sign on it or by it 'PUT PACKAGES IN TUB, REPLACE LID' and hopefully people will do that.

Dont leave your dog outside supervised - he is bored witless and along comes a guy who leaves him a tasty fun package, WOW, of COURSE he is going to rip that open, he would be so dumb NOT to do that because its fun!

As Jacksdad points out - your dog does NOT know he was bad, he knows that when you/dad see that theres a mess and hes wrecked a package, theres gonna be trouble and that is what he is reacting to. Nothing more.

If your Dad is going to do him harm then he would be better spending his time in the kennel with stuff to do than he is outside it, as he is at risk from eating something that injures him.

If you think your dad IS going to do the dog harm all we can recommend here is that you call animal control/the police.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
doglover27

Post by doglover27 »

Alright, I do realize now that he doesn't realize he has been bad. We NEVER hit him or attack him in any way, so I suppose my body language must be scary. I will try to watch that. That is an excellent idea to have a tub or tote to put the packages in, I will get one of those. Now that I am thinking logically, I see several solutions. Last night when I posted the question, I was scared because my father was yelling and screaming. I apologize, and thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I don't know what I was thinking posting that question, I was freaking out because my father was. I know it is my fault the dog gets bored outside alone, and I know of a few solutions. So again, I apologize, and thank you all for the suggestions.
easilyconfused

Post by easilyconfused »

yeah, they are called parcel drop boxes

minkee

Post by minkee »

It always helps to have advice from an 'outsider'. It's always calm and logical because they're not directly involved... or being yelled at by their dad about it! It's a good way to cut through the crap and get right to the solutions :)

Good luck with setting your dog up for success! Or rather setting your yard up so he can't fail.
ImageImage
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

doglover27 wrote:Alright, I do realize now that he doesn't realize he has been bad. We NEVER hit him or attack him in any way, so I suppose my body language must be scary. I will try to watch that. That is an excellent idea to have a tub or tote to put the packages in, I will get one of those. Now that I am thinking logically, I see several solutions. Last night when I posted the question, I was scared because my father was yelling and screaming. I apologize, and thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I don't know what I was thinking posting that question, I was freaking out because my father was. I know it is my fault the dog gets bored outside alone, and I know of a few solutions. So again, I apologize, and thank you all for the suggestions.
No need to apologize. as already pointed out sometimes your too close and need a fresh set of eyes on a problem. you did right by posting an asking for help
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Don't worry about it! My dad, when he freaks out about MY dogs, tips me way off the 'rational' and into 'panic' mode, because he is so unreasonable and a total git about them. Very fortunately for me he lives hundreds of miles away but it STILL presses all my buttons and I freak!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

doglover27 wrote:Alright, I do realize now that he doesn't realize he has been bad. We NEVER hit him or attack him in any way, so I suppose my body language must be scary. I will try to watch that. That is an excellent idea to have a tub or tote to put the packages in, I will get one of those. Now that I am thinking logically, I see several solutions. Last night when I posted the question, I was scared because my father was yelling and screaming. I apologize, and thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I don't know what I was thinking posting that question, I was freaking out because my father was. I know it is my fault the dog gets bored outside alone, and I know of a few solutions. So again, I apologize, and thank you all for the suggestions.
It is why we are hear, to help as much as we can when we can, there are times when we do freak out and can't see our way through a problem, this is were we are really useful. Hugs.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]