Advice on Mum's eldery Pooch

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katowaggytail

Advice on Mum's eldery Pooch

Post by katowaggytail »

Hi,
My Mum lives with my brother and they have a Lab who is 10/11 ish - prehaps even more as he was a rescue with 5 previous homes before joining my Mum. :roll:

Now he sleeps in my brothers bedroom as, about 18 months ago, he started to become distressed at being downstairs alone - no real problem there as he now goes upstairs.

During the night/early hours he will sometimes wake my brother up to go for a wee/poo. As he has never gone to toilet in the garden my brother has to walk round the village with him.... great at 3am!!

(teach your dogs to use the garden - sooo much easier!! :lol: )

Now, they have had a couple of occassions were he has poo'd his bed, and it has not been found until the morning. This has led to a distressed dog and a Mum who is unsure what to do for the best. My brother is ok with it - of sorts - as it has only happened twice.

I feel the dog is developing Alzhimers, and really isn't aware of what 's going on at times. Mum wants to put him back downstairs but is aware that the reason he came up in the first place was because he was distressed!

It's heart breaking when a loved member of the family starts to deteroiate, so any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

aw that's so sad - my parents' lab is 12 now and it's awful seeing him so old and slow.

I'm sure your mum's/brother's dog doesn't know what he is doing - we all know dogs hate 'dirty nests' - maybe he is starting to lose bladder/bowel control?

I would get a waterproof/washable sheet for the dog to sleep on then at least he could stay upstairs and no be distressed. Would mean lots of washing though? We have a car seat protector that can be shoved in the washing machine, maybe something like that with some old cushions on top to make it comfy?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

First, a full vet check including blood tests to see if there is anything wrong, if there is, it may be able to be solved.

In the meantime, I would put waterproof cover on the bed with a fleece blanket over it. Fleece blankets are easy to wash and dry and the waterproof can be wiped down with a disinfectant.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Thanks everyone. I just feel that is old age, and it touches a nerve with me as my old Bouvier had to be put down because he used to poo on any type of exertion - barking, sneezing (he was 13).

We just don't think it's going to happen to our best mate - although logoically we do.

Fi
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

What's really hard with old dogs is that we expect them to display the signs of ageing, and so we can miss what actually is illness. Trust me, we do it with humans as well.

A vet check is really worth while. You'd be so unhappy if it was something simple that could be helped.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Thanks - I've suggested a vet visit to them, and will have to see if they do. Fi
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Well, finally Mum took him to the vets and bloods were taken ... and hey presto Thyroid is low. Although I know it may not help all of his problems, at least the Thyroxine will perk him up a bit! :D
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

ah, hope he gets better kato!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Thyroxine will make a very big difference to him once it is in his system, I always know if I have missed a tablet because I quickly go downwards.

I am so pleased that your mum has found out what is wrong. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Thanks everyone. It has beeen such a relief to get Mum to get a diagnosis. Will pick pills up tomorrow. My last dog has thyroid trouble too, I don't know why I didn't think of it... Anyway thanks to all - will keep you posted. Fi x