Second dog- how did it change your relationship with Dog#1?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

alaina1

Second dog- how did it change your relationship with Dog#1?

Post by alaina1 »

For those that have 2 dogs- after getting the second dog, how did your relationship change with your first dog? I don't just mean the typical jealousy behavior between the 2 dogs, I'm wondering about how close you remained to your first dog?

I am considering adding a second dog to our family. It is me, my husband and our 3.5yo female Aussie, Cody (no kids, no plans for kids). I have always wanted 2 dogs, because I've grown up with two and because I think there is something that I can't give Cody that only other dogs can. Cody is my first dog as an adult, and my first experience with herding dogs. I worked very hard to have a well-behaved, well-socialized Aussie, and I think Cody has turned out extremely well. She knows tons of commands, has good manners, is completely reliable offleash, and gets along with other dogs, but she is VERY much the alpha- not agressive, she just is always on top with dogs (not humans). Cody and I have an extremely close bond- she is my shadow, she is my furkid, she is my love. We do everything together- car rides, runs, going to work on weekends, tons of adventures, always playing.

Like most dogs, I'm sure, she ALWAYS wants more attention, even on days where we are together 24/7. Even when I get up to pee in the middle of the night, Cody wants my attention and my love. I love this about her, but at the same time, feel that getting a second dog might fill a space for her- when I'm at work or busy, or even when I'm there but can't play with her. However, I'm just as worried that adding a second dog will detract more from our current bond than I'm ready to deal with. I'm also aware that there will be jealousy issues, but I feel like I can manage that through behavioral training over time.

So, I was just wondering how other people feel about the change in their relationship after adding dog #2. Does anyone have any advice/insight or gut reaction about what I should do? I fully realize that I don't HAVE to get a second dog, but when Cody plays with another Aussie, or one of her other boyfriends, she just has SO much fun, and I just love Aussies that I want more! And I think that having a second dog could make Cody even happier- or am I just kidding myself, and dog #2 will ruin our relationship and make her miserable?

(sorry for the long first post- I just discovered this site and love it!)
tinytwo

Re: Second dog- how did it change your relationship with Dog#1?

Post by tinytwo »

Our second dog didn't ruin my relationship with our first, but it has changed it a bit.
For instance, before we got Abby, Harper got lots of attention. If he wanted to play with a certain toy, he could. [We keep the toys in a toy box, but rotate them every now and then]. But, now, sometimes the dogs decide they want to keep a toy all to themselves and not share. So, Harper doesn't get his way with toys now, not every time. We don't allow him to be possessive over toys, nor do we accept it from Abby. So, I guess what I'm saying is that he has a few more limits now with two dogs.

Also, sometimes Abby gets to be on my lap. But, it doesn't worry Harper too much, he just moves on over to my boyfriend's lap. :)

We still make sure that each dog gets alone time with us; we walk them separately, and train with them separately. And, sometimes, one will go outside to play with my boyfriend, while the other stays with me, and vice versa....
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

It's awesome. I love, love, LOVE having two dogs! And Annie is still my soul dog, my first love. And Annie is glad we got Dottie, if for no other reason than to help share all the "burden" of getting loved on all the time. :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You/we have to work very hard at making it work.

Supposing your beloved came home with a new partner and said "It's been so much fun having you that I've brought this person home because it will be twice the fun and you are sure to be friends because you are both women" (or men).

Duh. :evil:

One of two things happens - they either like each other better than you, and so you get discipline problems, or they see the other as a rival and so you get discipline problems.

But - if you manage the way the above posters managed - actively, wisely, sometimes intuitively - so that each has one-to-one time, separate training and exercise, so that there is never any need to guard resources or compete for attention - it works with MOST dogs. Critical to it working is the dogs having more than enough exercise and occupation.

Opposite genders work better, totally different types work better, but you can have a group of same breed same sex as long as you watch them well and never let one get narky with the other, especially b itches, which bear a long grudge. House dynamics may well change, but not necessarily for the worse. As long as you don't expect them to be thrilled with each other, you can make it work.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Beau&Luke'sMomn

Post by Beau&Luke'sMomn »

Getting a 2nd dog worked great for us and most importantly, it worked great for both dogs. We decided to get Luke when Beau was a little over a year old so Beau would have a playmate. Beau immediately took Luke "under his wing" and taught him how to be a dog. When we brought Luke home as a puppy we placed him down in the driveway so Beau could sniff him. They sniffed each other and Beau was incredibly gentle with him. Over time as Luke grew they have become more like equals. We are careful to treat Beau as the alpha...i.e. he is the first one let out of his crate each morning; the first one given a treat, etc. They love to play with each other, yet also spend time doing things independently. Luke is very emotionally needy so he pretty well does whatever Beau does. He is somewhat physically stronger, so when they play fetch if they both get the ball at the same time, Beau will usually drop it after going round for a while. Beau runs much faster and Luke is always trying to keep up with him to no avail. It is not uncommon to see them curled up next to each other sleeping. Beau will always be what I refer to as my "first bought dog." I tell them that Beau is the most athletic and Luke is the prettiest and Beau is the fastest. I think if anything our relationship with Beau is stronger. By having two dogs we are able to recognize and value the strengths of each dog. Good luck with your decision.