A bit stuck. Meeting dogs, again!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

loza123

A bit stuck. Meeting dogs, again!

Post by loza123 »

Hello everyone, for those that remember me anyway :lol:

Some of you may or may not know that i have a very active and playful 4 year old lab/collie called bob.

We did have issues withmeeting other dogs and would met a trainer with her two dogs to get him used to other dogs in the winter we did try to continue without her input as we couldn't see her on a night due to the dark nights. However bob is a very strong dog and we have him on a non pull harness, used to have him on a halti but the last 2 he had bit and broke them both. Also , going back to the winter point its ver hard getting he used to other dogs when bob is pulling and the road is covering in ice.

He is 'better' meeting other dogs when his tired , though even when he says dogs across the road he hardly barks just stares and pulls. Anyhow there a park near me with a football field on the back on the park, well behind it , normally were me and only me takes bob as my mum doesn't trust him, i still keep him on his long lead attached to his collar and just allow the lead to follow him, i don't hold it while he chases after his ball. However i have become frustrated myself as due to some building work and some large containers it's hard to see if there are any other dogs. There has been a few times when i have put bob on his short lead has i have seen a little jack russel run onto the field, luckly bob was sniffing but it angered me as if that dog was to run towards bob, there could be a fight, luckly for me this dog went running over to a boxer and there was some yelping , i have to admit i used to do this as i know my old dog Josh was pefectly fine and was quite happy just having a sniff, if i dog came and carrying on sniffing a bush or a tree. If i don't let bob have a run around the field then i feel guilty as he loves to chase his ball and alot of the time, we can't let him. My mum becomes too anxious and i am ok .. it just owner annoy me as most of the time they can see my dog is on his hind legs or pulling and when i do shout ' My dog isn't very friendly' they still keep coming towards us and with me getting angry it's going straight to bob which isn't fair on him.

Every so often my mum comes out with sending Bob somewere and this annoys me , she was telling me how someone who came into her work took her dog somewere and it came back better. i told her that wouldn't work as as soon as he got back to our house he would be the same. I asked my dad today since the clocks are going forward about meeting up with this trainer again and getting him used to the dogs again, my dad said no , that his not paying the money to do so , yet my mum goes on about how ' His brillant in the house if only he was like that outside'.

Sorry I just seem to be venting here.

There has been a few good times though were he has sat calmly while another dog has gone pass and we have praised and fed him. My other dog , josh was great , if i was angry i would put him on the lead, grab a poo bag take him onto the field and just walk, every so often josh would come flying past me or i would have to call him as he was smelling something, i can't do that will bob as i have to be calm when walking him. My mum suggested a muzzle but i said no as i doubt that would make thing's better, it could make it worse.

Right now i just.. arent sure what to do apart from just keeping trying to get him used to other dogs, also my mum said if i wanted bob in a halti i would have to buy it as she isn't.

thanks , sorry its long.
laurenx