dog parks

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

newjerseylab

dog parks

Post by newjerseylab »

I want to take my dog to a dog park but I am worried. I was watching dogs in a dog park and there is a lot of barking and sometimes dogs snap at each other. is this normal behavior at a dog park? How do you know if a dog fight will happen?
Fundog

Re: dog parks

Post by Fundog »

Each dog park has its own mood, its own "culture," if you will, much the way each church or synagogue or workplace environment has a mood or "culture." Just as we have to do some searching to find the right church or synagogue, or to find our "niche" in the workplace, not every dog will "fit" into every dog park. If the "culture" in the dog park you have been observing does not seem right for you and your dog, then by all means, keep searching. Your dog will be much happier not going to any dog park at all, than he would be at a park where dogs seem to quarrel frequently.

As for the dog behavior itself, some people who are not familiar with dog play, and the sounds associated with it, may mistake the playful growls and barks for inappropriate aggression. It takes some practice observing dog behavior to be able to recognize true aggression from "just playing." Regardless, the bottom line still prevails: if you are not comfortable with what you see going on at your local dog park, do not take your dog there, and keep searching for a place you are comfortable with. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
newjerseylab

Post by newjerseylab »

and if dogs snaps at each other, is that ok? Is that normal behavior to tell another dog to be left alone?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

It is very normal for a dog to tell another dog to "back off" by growling or even air snapping. However, it is generally not viewed as "acceptable" by most people. Many people are frightened by what they perceive as "aggression," and will expect you to scold or reprimand your dog for simply communicating. Instead, it is best that we observe our dogs very closely for signs of discomfort, fear, annoyance, etc. and distract or remove them from the situation before they feel the need to tell the other dog off. Of course, sometimes things happen very very quickly, and we are not able to anticipate an argument between dogs. And it does take practice, and knowing your dog intimately to be able to predict: "Uh-oh, that dog is approaching at a run. Fido is going to freak out; I'd better go get him."

And.... it is customary to immediately remove your dog from any situation for which he has air snapped or growled at another dog or person anyway. You don't have to reprimand him; he did nothing wrong. But he is uncomfortable, fearful, annoyed, etc., and so it is inconsiderate to leave him in that situation. Take him out, for his own peace of mind, and yours, and everyone else's.

Does that make sense? If you are unclear about anything I said, don't hesitate to come back and ask for more clarification, okay? 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
newjerseylab

Post by newjerseylab »

yes, it does, thanks
Blappy1215

Post by Blappy1215 »

I just took my 4 month old shih tzu to the dog park for the first time today. I was worried about how he would react to other dogs as he really does not have much exposure to them. I was also worried because all the dogs there where much bigger than him. It went very, very well in fact his new best freind is a 2 year old husky named dekota, a rottie puppy that is 8 months old and a adult rottie named harley. The three of them ran every inch of that park lol, inculding the hugh mud puddle that all the black labs were playing in :lol: If he was being annoying to another dog they let him know by growling at them or air snapping at him. When they did this do him he would stop trying to jump on them or what ever he had done to annoy the other dog. When he got scared he would come back to me and sit by my feet or I would pick him up. Cooper learned more today in dog socializing then he did with his littermates in 12 weeks. Fundog is right each park has it's own culture, the one I went to has the same dogs there everyday along with the same owners so everyone knows each other and the dogs. So they know if a dog is going to react a certain way towards other dogs. When Dekota came everyone was thrilled they all said DeKota will get them running boy did he ever. If you try one and it doesn't work you can always try another one.
"Don't worry honey right after the dog, your number one."
Elaine
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

"Don't worry honey right after the dog, your number one."
Blappy I love your signature :lol: