What's next?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danabanana

What's next?

Post by danabanana »

My beagle pup is doing really well (when she pays attention) with clicker training, she will come here, sit, stand, down and currently teaching roll over.
Want to start teaching a bit more now to stretch her a bit more, these are very simple tricks and she's pretty much got them down pat. how do I teach paw/shake hands? Tried putting a treat on her nose but she doesn't keep still long enough! Any more things I can teach her while she's young and picking things up like a sponge?
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

ooh, also she is now fine wearing her collar but tried starting to introduce her to the lead and she runs around with it in her mouth then chews on it. If I take hold of the other end she treats it like a game of tug of war and pulls backwards with it in her mouth - help with this too would be appreciated
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

To the first question, the shake paw one, I taught it like this...

1) Ask puppy to sit
2) Show puppy you have a treat in your hand
3) when puppy comes to take the treat close your hand so she can't get at it
4) as she know's its in your hand she will eventually insinctively 'paw' at your hand to get the treat
5) the minute her paw touches your hand, you 'click' open you hand and let her have the treat
6) you eventually work in the 'paw' command as she lifts her paw and you start to hold your hand further away from her so she begins to 'paw' at the air......and hey presto!!

With regards to other commands to teach her whilst a baby, I would say the most important one there is, is the 'leave' command, which with hindsight I wish I had taught much, much, earlier. Another one is to teach her to 'bring' things to you when she pinches your stuff, as then she will learn that fetching stuff to you is more rewarding than stealing things and running away. Again, something I wish I had done earlier. Ho hum. :roll:

Re the lead thing, I take it she had not had her jabs yet and can't go out? If that's true then I wouldn't worry about her chewing the lead too much yet or playing tuggy with it, as she has no idea what its for and it good to let her just get used to it. When she does go out then she will have sooooooooo much to look at and sniff that she will forget all about chomping on her lead and once she knows lead = walkies, she will be far more interested in the walkies than the lead itself.

Obviously if she is older and has started to go out, then that's a didfferent question all together.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ignore her mouthing and chewing at the lead (helps if you have an old one or a cheap one rather than a poshly expensive one!),

Have your clicker ready and treats ready, and the second shes focussed on you and NOT mouthing or chewing up the lead, click and treat!

Make it a habit to keep the clicker and treats on you all the time, you can solve a lot of problems this way, by either marking the 'not doing something' behaviour or actively setting her up to do something else.

If you start out this way then she will come to think 'lead on = pay attention to mum' time. That stands you in very good stead when you go out and about as she will be more focussed on you and if you keep her interest with lots of different tasks, she will hopefully never LEARN to pull or bark at other dogs etc!
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Thanks both
Ocelot - she's not going out yet so maybe it is a bit early to get her used to a lead. But the paw tips seem to be working well and the leave is getting there - helped by our cat when it comes to cat food!
Emmabeth - thanks that's exactly what I'm aiming for - never to learn bad habits of pulling mouthing etc in the first place