puppy biting my legs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Echo's Bud

Re: puppy biting my legs

Post by Echo's Bud »

Thanks to everybody who responded and I will try everything mentioned. The details help me alot. This puppy is an Australian Shepherd and I previously had and lost, to cancer, an Australian Shepherd. The first Aussie didn't do any of the nipping or herding, on me, that this one does. I can already see some of the good Aussie traits coming out if I can just make it through the "hamburger legs". Please hang with me, because I'm sure I will need all the help I can get to get her through puppyhood. Thank you again
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

In addition to what has already been said..

Can you make a much smaller temporary pen right by your door, so that you ARE near the door [or you can exit the pen], and you can then leave as a 'time out' in response to her nipping.

As she gets better about nipping you can expand the pen or move it further from the house - you could also practice not being in the pen and improve your chances of success by wearing cltohing that means you can ignore any nipping.

If you get the message through fast and consistently in the next few weeks she should quit the behaviour.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Echo's Bud

Post by Echo's Bud »

I was also thinking about a small pen close to the door-so at least I'm headed in the right direction. My thought was a place for me to get away from her but I guess its better for her to be in the pen and me go in the door of the house so I'm out of sight. About the clothes I was also wondering if that would help. Yesterday here it was really cold so I put on a pair of old jeans over my regular slacks to stay warm and that helped. I was thinking about chaps or heavy canvas work pants to protect my legs. Most of the time she just gets hold of my pants but occasionally she gets a hold of me and that really hurts. :shock:
phoenixfire90

Post by phoenixfire90 »

Try to get a hold of some half chaps, they are what some horse riders where. Mainly English style horse riders where, they are made of heavy canvas or even leather. They might help with your situation. I wish you luck as I am dealing with similar issues with my puppy at the moment.