Puppy Pulling

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

horza

Puppy Pulling

Post by horza »

i know that there are alot of posts on here about LLW, i have read the article, several times, and it has worked very well with my older dog but she never really pulled anyway. i have aslo read alot of the other threads on here from other posters, including some old post as i like to browse this site a lot, athough it is mostly when i should be working :)

so anyway i have a 3/4 month old GSD / lab puppy who loves going out on walks, and running around the feilds with my older dog. it only takes use 2 minutes to get to where i can safely let them off (there are not many other dogs, i can see far around to see if anything is coming, and she has very good recall because she knows i have cheese :)

however the time she is on the leads she pulls and pulls, i have tried the be like tree, and basically she does the same i stop she stops, she is still at the end of the end though, then as soon as i move, i mean move my arm to relax the lead, she is pulling again, i have stood there for 5 mins with her still looking ahead then at me but nothing.

i have tried mattie method on the LLW article but each time i about turn she just darts to the end of the lead, this is the same in the house, in the garden, on the road.

when i was reading some of the older threads a few weeks ago i can across a post from someone training to train a puppy with this problem and a replay post by emmabeth, as far as i can remember said to try basically step infront the dog to body block it from moving forward, me trying this resulted in fun game for her, and pulling even more to get infront :)

anyway anyone any ideas.

i know she is only a puppy and is excited but i want to sort it as i don't want a full grown GSD pulling me over.

also she is clicker trained and highly food motivated

thanks
Mattie

Re: Puppy Pulling

Post by Mattie »

horza wrote:i have tried mattie method on the LLW article but each time i about turn she just darts to the end of the lead, this is the same in the house, in the garden, on the road.

Dolly would do this at first, I had her along side a fence or wall, the gap between me and then fence and wall was small, when I turned and walked the other way she had to go between me and the fence, I was able to step to the side and block her.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
AnisaA

Post by AnisaA »

We got our first dog, Applesauce, a Golden Retriever in October and had to learn a lot of new things like training and such. But recently she's been doing the same thing, pulling excessively on the leash and just doesn't give up no matter how hard I tried to train her.

Finally we gave in and got her an Easy Walk harness. We had the chance to try it out today and its already working wonders! :D

The harness is made so that when she pulls it diverts her back to me, either left or right, and she immediately realized its not fun anymore.

We're very happy with the results and looking forward to having wonderful doggie walks from now on!
GundogGuy

Post by GundogGuy »

horza wrote:i know that there are alot of posts on here about LLW, i have read the article, several times, and it has worked very well with my older dog but she never really pulled anyway. i have aslo read alot of the other threads on here from other posters, including some old post as i like to browse this site a lot, athough it is mostly when i should be working :)

so anyway i have a 3/4 month old GSD / lab puppy who loves going out on walks, and running around the feilds with my older dog. it only takes use 2 minutes to get to where i can safely let them off (there are not many other dogs, i can see far around to see if anything is coming, and she has very good recall because she knows i have cheese :)

however the time she is on the leads she pulls and pulls, i have tried the be like tree, and basically she does the same i stop she stops, she is still at the end of the end though, then as soon as i move, i mean move my arm to relax the lead, she is pulling again, i have stood there for 5 mins with her still looking ahead then at me but nothing.
Have you tried walking backwards? (yes, seriously)

Your problem is that this wee dog doesn't want to walk next to you because, compared to those fields, the other dog and all that running... you're of little interest/value...

You say the dog is conditioned to the clicker... so, take her to a low distraction environment (in the house or garden or a boring old empty carpark) and with her on the leash, walk backwards. As she comes towards you, click/treat... continue this until she is willingly following you around, then change from walking backwards to walking sideways and when she is willingly following you that way, progress to walking forwards and remember to choose which side you want the dog to walk on and stick with that. And remember to move unpredictably... changing direction. straight lines are boring, just ask picaso :)
Train the dog on it's own at first and don't let it partake in any off leash shenanigans until it has learned to 'want to do' what 'you want it to do'. Then the off leash shenanigans can be slowly reintroduced as a reward for 'wanting to do' what 'you want it to do' BUT interrupt her off leash shenanigans with some on leash work, again making the reward some off leash stuff :D

Once your dog is walking on leash without pulling you must never allow it to pull again... if you do... you won't be back to square one, you'll be back to square -10 (minus 10)...

Above all... have fun :D
"Oh what gold there is to find when one is blessed with an open mind" - me, not five minutes ago :-)
horza

Post by horza »

thanks for your advice

im going to try the walking along a wall this week as i have week off so can really concentrate on this ,

i will also try the walking backwards, where no-one can see me

thanks for your advice

R.E the harness my dad laughed at me when i brought the dogs collars but i got them anyway, he just will not more on the harness issue i have shown him and my mum Mattie's story about Ellie (it made me cry) but he still will not budge, however i do want to do flyball with the dogs soon so maybe this will force him to relent to a harness.

anyway thanks alot will keep you updated in a week as to how well she is doing.