Annoying Whining

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sam2702

Annoying Whining

Post by sam2702 »

Hi All, we have a 2 year old cocker spaniel who is absolutely adorable, fantastically behaved in so many ways and not many bad habits apart from one which is becoming increasingly frustrating and annoying. When we are sitting down watching TV he is fine, lying down at our feet or asleep on our laps, however when we go to get up he jumps up and cries, it's ear splitting! He also does it when we go to bed, he sleeps on the landing and is fine when we take a cup of tea to bed, but when we get up to brush our teeth he does it again until the light is turned off and then he settles down. I don't know what to do with him, I need to work out why he is doing it before I can think about how to rectify the problem, any ideas?
Nettle

Re: Annoying Whining

Post by Nettle »

Please would you give us a full rundown of his typical day, no detail too small, and when what and how he is fed. Is he working type or show type? Any other animals in the house? Any changes in his life that have occurred round about the time this started? Then we can help.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
sam2702

Post by sam2702 »

Hi

It doesn't make any difference what his day is like, he's still the same, but to give you a run down this is a normal weekday:-
5 am - Wake up and 30 - 40 minute walk at 5.30 am.
7 am - I leave the house, sometimes my husband leaves at the same time but the majority of the time he works from home. Freddie settles down fine and sleeps on the sofa. I have recorded him many times previously and regardless of how long he's left for he rarely leaves the sofa, just turns around and lies back down.
3 pm - I return from work and he goes for a 45 - 60 minute walk
5.30 pm - Freddie has his dinner, Fish4Dogs complete
7 pm - We usually play for about 45 minutes
9 pm - We go to bed, usually read for half an hour and then turn the light off. He is settled whilst we are reading but cries when we get up to brush our teeth but settles again as soon as the light is off.

Sometimes he can be left for 5 - 6 hours but this is rare, as I say my husband works from home a lot. and during this time Freddie sleeps, just as he does if we are out.

He is a show cocker and we have had him since he was a puppy. From what I can remember nothing has changed, it's just something that has developed over time. He was crated until he was about 18 months old but wasn't as settled in his crate as our last cocker, he came out of it and was happiest sleeping on the landing. He seems happy and has been easy to train, although his recall isn;t the best when he sees another dog but I am working on that. Thank you for any help you can give me.
sam2702

Post by sam2702 »

Just to let you know that he also makes the same noise when we're just about to go out for a walk. I get why he'd be excited then but going to bed......?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

From what you say, I suspect he is just 'talking'. Cockers can be very vocal, the show kind much more than the workers.

How about you check out our Exercise the Mind thread for some mental occupation you can give him? Cockers are very active in mind as well as body, and although he has good care from you, he could do with some extra mental stimulus which will make him tired and more likely to relax. Even ten minutes of mental work is very tiring for dogs.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Nettle wrote: Even ten minutes of mental work is very tiring for dogs.
This^ :D don't underestimate how much using their brains settles them down, you might not notice it the first time you do it but this type of stuff really pays off over time. I have a very active intelligent dog and would be run ragged trying to tire her out with exercise alone.

Here's a little video of my tiny firecracker doing one of her "puzzles" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOYVpYi ... e=youtu.be

You will find lots of ideas here :D https://positively.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1135
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
sam2702

Post by sam2702 »

Thank you, I will try these!