Bron - Scottish Terrier

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

susanheulwen

Bron - Scottish Terrier

Post by susanheulwen »

:D Hi. My name is Susan. I have always had rescue dogs up until now - usually more than one. My two old dogs died and my remaining one had a host of serious health problems - sadly she had to go to Rainbow Bridge last year. I had had quite a few years of old or ailing dogs, so decided to adopt a puppy.
Bron is almost 7 months old and a delight. She loves everyone and all other dogs too - there is the problem! There is an excellent huge area near my home where I can let her off the lead to run free - she comes when called except when she has found one of her doggy friends to play with, I might as well be invisible then. We also have a new problem, which is that when the time comes to put her on her lead for the short walk home, she stays near but not near enough for me to put the lead on. I've tried using different routes, but she always seem to know what my intention is.
Any advice is very welcome.
wvvdiup1

Re: Bron - Scottish Terrier

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome to the forums, Susan! :D It is very hard when we lose one of our dogs, but your dogs that you've lost had a good life with you. Just remember they were happy with you! As for your puppy, I wouldn't let it loose without completely getting the recall down pat with your puppy, because you never know when you're going to need to call your puppy/dog in an emergency or urgent time. Get a long leash and a whistle and practice calling your puppy to you while it's tied to the long leash. Reward it when it comes to you when you whistle or call it!
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Welcome to the forum! :D

If you haven't yet, check out this thread on recall:
http://www.positively.com/forum/viewtop ... =20&t=7155
--dontpugme
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Welcome aboard! :D
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

CoolDog wrote:Welcome aboard! :D
AAAAAAHH!!! Welcome back, CoolDog!!!! :D :D :D

sorry to hijack the thread
--dontpugme
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Thanks Dontpugme! :D I'm not out of the woods yet, but getting there! :D
susanheulwen

Post by susanheulwen »

Thanks for the advice :D . I've read the link and taken on board what has been written.
My aim is to get a long lead (use a retracting one at the moment) and a whistle.
Bron never actually runs off (just runs to greet her doggy friends) and does come when called but stays out of reach.
Good to "meet" you.