Another Newbie!

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Stumpywop

Another Newbie!

Post by Stumpywop »

Hi All,

MY name is Laura and I lvie in Birmingham, UK with my 6 year old Son and 4 dogs.

My dogs are :

Zane - DOB 25/12/2007 - male, neutered GSD, Black & Tan
Yiannis - DOB 31/10/2008 - male, neutered GSD, Black & Yellow
Jenzi - DOB 07/01/2010 - female GSD, Black & Gold Sable (not yet speyed but will be in January)
Tashi - DOB 21/01/2010 - female Lurcher, Wheaten (not yet speyed but will be 3 months after first season)

My goal in life is to attend EVERY primary school in the Country with a view to teaching young school age children how to stay safe around dogs. This is whether it's their own family pet, or a strange dog in the park. Of course, I can't teach them about every single eventuality but if I can prevent justone child from being struck, bitten or attacked, then it's all worth it IMO.
I use my own dogs for demonstration purposes and only ever use posiive reinforcement methods. I feel I can get a lot more out of them if I take a nice approach with them.

I'm also involved with a local dog rescue charity and I foster dogs from time to time. At teh moment I have a long haired boxer x called Reggie. He's lovely but he'll be a right handful for his new owners once he has his paws under the table.

Once I've worked out what to do, I'll add some piccies of the dogs.

Laura xx
***Melissa***

Re: Another Newbie!

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Hi Laura

Welcome to the forums :D

Yes, children (and adults) are not educated as to how dogs communicate (growling, lip licking, body language) so I think it's absolutely wonderful that you do what you do :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Welcome to the forum!
--dontpugme
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome to the forums, Stumpywop! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown