Hello from NorCal!

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Olivers mama

Hello from NorCal!

Post by Olivers mama »

I live in Northern California (altho I'd rather live elsewhere!)

We just adopted a 2-yr-old female GSD from a Shepherd Rescue. This Rescue wasn't "exactly" honest with us: they said she walks fine on a leash - NOT. First time I've been 'water-skiing' on dry land! They also said she is good with cats - NOT. And this is a major one, as we have 4 housecats. Unfortunately, we fell in love with her within the first day or 2, soooo...

We had her for 3 weeks before SOMETHING had to be done. Totally untrained & hard to control, as she's very strong. When she sees 1 of the cats, she barks loud enough to blow the fur back on their faces - & won't stop. So she's in K9 Boot Camp for 2 (maybe 3) weeks. She's boarding there & is worked/trained 3-4 times daily. We visit to watch her work & so can copy the trainer's actions. Then we get to play with her, so she knows she hasn't been abandoned AGAIN! Expensive, but worth it. We simply can't take the chance she may hurt the cats. 3 of them could run from her, but the 4th - the oldest at 14 - is crippled & can't run fast. 3 surgeries as a kitten have allowed him to get around as well as he does, I won't let anything or anyone hurt him! He's a big cat, my Oliver, too big for a carrier, so he walks on a leash. He'll be the first one to approach her, I'm sure. Working with cats is part of her Boot Camp training, so we'll see. (that's why it may take a 3rd week!)

I love the training & plan on taking her as far as she is able: Intermediate (off-leash), Agility. A friend is a local K9 cop & has offered us to work with the other K9s, once she's ready.

Our trainer's methods are similar to Victoria's & he's already getting some GREAT results! She just didn't know the language, kinda like me traveling to a country where English is not the norm. But she's learning & looks wonderful prancing next to the trainer.

Can't WAIT to get her back full-time & continue her training!

Becky
emmabeth

Re: Hello from NorCal!

Post by emmabeth »

Hey, welcome to the forums,

I am curious about the trainers methods, here in the UK I do not know of any residential (for the dog) canine 'boot-camps' that do not use punishment based or 'dominance' training!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Olivers mama

Post by Olivers mama »

Emma,

This place was originally a boarding facility, until they hired a couple of trainers. The training is ALL reward-based training, or I would not have chosen him. Generally, it's freeze-dried liver or chicken bits, along with a lot of praise. Eventually, until she learns the "language", the food treats will be fazed out.

A few years ago, I inherited my dad's Mini Schnauzer after he died. She was the nastiest dog I've ever seen. She crawled up our arms with her teeth & we still bear the scars. Our vet suggested this trainer. He was able to get her re-directed to the point (after a number of months) she could safely be adopted out. By this time, I didn't even want to look at her, so we gave her away. But his methods worked & she lives happily - ELSEWHERE!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome to the forums, Oliver's mama! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Olivers mama

Post by Olivers mama »

Thanks to you both for the 'Welcome'!

I hope to add to my learning curve here, together with previous training experiences PLUS being a long-time fan of Victoria's program!

Once our GSD has passed Basic, Intermediate, & Agility, we had looked into Schutzhund training. But I don't like their methods - a bit too aggressive at times & downright mean at others. Hopefully, by the time she's been with us for a long period, she'll learn to 'protect' her own home & surroundings without that training.

Thanks again,
Becky
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Olivers mama wrote:I live in Northern California (altho I'd rather live elsewhere!)
LOL, know the feeling.

welcome to the forum.
Olivers mama

Post by Olivers mama »

Thanks, jacksdad -

I take it that you're stuck in this crazy state, too?! :mrgreen:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

yep...and it just gets crazier and crazier :(