Evening All from the UK

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Helper and Seeker

Evening All from the UK

Post by Helper and Seeker »

Hello Everybody :)

I have been watching Victoria's tv series here in the UK on sky3 for a couple of weeks now and so much of what she says are the things I tell people and also have learnt lots from her also.

I have been a home checker for various animal rescues within the UK for about 15 years now, not sure what you call them in the states but when a person wishes to adopt an animal from a rescue their home and them have to be checked to see if they are suitable before the animal can be homed and thats what I do.

This is on a volunteer basis and there are loads of us who do this around the country.

I also foster occasionally if a certain dog is in need of my help and I am free to do so.

I currently have a 7 yr old Cavelier Spaniel crossed with a Cocker Spaniel.
Have had her 12 weeks now and she came from a home with a mother who had an autistic son and she basically was abused for all her life byt the son and the mother allowed this to go on. Although she just saw it as the way things were rather than abuse. Then after 7 years she had a dog who was aggressive and would bite. And so she decided that having to lock her son in one room and the dog in another everytime she wanted to have a bath was no good and she handed Bella into a rescue.

She went to another fosterer who had dogs and children and Bella would just growl and go to bite them all so she had to keep Bella separate which was a problem so I offered to take her as I have no children or animals and am very good with abuse cases.

Thought I would join this forum as it is nice to network and you can never stop learning.

Debbie x
People should have to do a training course PRIOR to getting any kind of pet
Noobs

Re: Evening All from the UK

Post by Noobs »

Welcome and bless you for the work you do. Bella is very lucky to have found you. Hope you enjoy the forum. We love having people from all walks of the dog industry here.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome to the forums, Helper and Seeker (Debbie)! I echo what Noobs said when she said "bless you for the work you do!" You'll find others such as OhioRuthie who do the same thing as you do! Again, welcome to the forums! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Welcome to the forum Debbie, there are quite a few from the UK here, like you I do homechecks, transport runs etc and am a failed fosterer with 2 of my dogs. :oops:

Several of us have taken on abused dogs and do understand their needs so if you need any help or even just to let off steam, we are here for you. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Helper and Seeker

Thanks all :-)

It is good to get different perspectives and imput as you never stop learning :-)
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

You're welcome Helper and Seeker! :D I'm speaking for everybody here when I say stick around here, chat, share your stories and/or photos, or give your advice to those who are seeking help! I'm sure you will learn a lot on this forum like I did and still do! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Helper and Seeker

Been looking about already and giving some advice and tips.

Things are very different in the USA from my friends on Facebook who when they find out I do animal stuff ask me for help and suggest friends also lol
Things you do we just dont and vice versa, cant think of any examples right now as per usual.

Also getting to know what people call stuff with the language barrier, yeah UK and USA speak English but brands like Kibble mean nothing to us like Chappie means nothing to you. But am learning as watched a film the other night and she gave her dog kibble so I know it is a dry mix - thank goodness for TV :lol:

I do support/relationship counselling as a hobby and when I do home checks and help people with problem animals it is still always about the humans never the animals.

We need to educate the humans before they get their animals so they get it right and not screw them up so much.

Debbie x