Hello from a rescuer in Ohio

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

OhioRuthie

Hello from a rescuer in Ohio

Post by OhioRuthie »

I recently found It's Me or the Dog...I didn't watch it before because I thought it was some show about people demanding a spouse get rid of a pet and didn't want to watch it. I happened to catch it a couple of weeks ago and realized it wasn't that at all...I watch it every morning now. I've been learning new tips to help with my rescues.

I have what are considered 'unadoptables' but have been lucky enough to find good people to adopt out quite a few. I have dogs, cats and parrots. It's such a wonderful feeling when I can find someone with the patience and understanding to take a pet with special concerns. Most recently I adopted out a goffin cockatoo, she's is so happy in her new home. Currently I have 3 parrots, 3 cats and 4 dogs. It's just me now and its all I can handle on my own. I know in comparisson to other rescues I don't have many but I can only take on what I can handle. It's sad I've had to say no just this week to kittens, bunny and a dog. But if I said yes to everyone I'd need to be rescued.

I have a dog that had a head injury due to abuse when he was a puppy...took til he was six months old to learn his name..and he as of today learned to sit..he's three years old...his sit is more of a laying down but its good enough. Even when he watches the other dogs sit he still lays down. But at least he tries.

My newest rescue is a seven month old puppy who was beaten for barking while tied out and for housebreaking accidents. She still seems to associate going potty with getting a beating so the process is taking awhile. She's been with me almost a month and she seems to understand I don't hit so I'm hoping to make some progress in the housebreaking. She's a beautiful dog. A bit underweight but I'm working on it. The vet said since she is young her health is being restored quickly.

It's just me these days so without the help of an actress friend I wouldn't be able to continue my work. She buys the food and supplies for the animals every month. I do fundraisers to cover the cost of vet care.

I guess that's about all...I'm glad I found this show!
============================================
My goal is to become the kind of person my pets think I am

My websites:
http://www.freewebs.com/ruthiesfanpages

My macaw said I'm a good girl and I believe him 8)
wvvdiup1

Re: Hello from a rescuer in Ohio

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome to the forums, OhioRuthie! :D

I'm glad to hear there are people out there who care enough about animals to rescue them from abusive owners or owners who abandoned their pets! Until every human being gets the message and adjust their behaviors accordingly, we have a lot to do. Keep up the good work, and again, welcome to the forums, OhioRuthie! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

Thanks Wvvdiup1 so glad I found the show and this forum. Cute animated dog icon by the way!
Thanks again :D
============================================
My goal is to become the kind of person my pets think I am

My websites:
http://www.freewebs.com/ruthiesfanpages

My macaw said I'm a good girl and I believe him 8)
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

OhioRuthie wrote:Thanks Wvvdiup1 so glad I found the show and this forum. Cute animated dog icon by the way!
Thanks again
In reference to the cute animated dog icon, thank you! That's me waggin' my tail! :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown