HI from Essex, UK

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

KatieChloe&Konni

HI from Essex, UK

Post by KatieChloe&Konni »

Hi,

I'm Katie. I have two dogs, 7 cats, a hamster and a horse, 5 kids and a hubby. It's a bit busy (and noisy!) in our household as you can imagine!! We live on the Essex/Greater London borders and although there's a lot of nice countryside walks round here there's quite a few snobby pet owners in my area who don't appreciate my rescue dogs and their problems :cry: (I'm about to post on the training thread about Konni cos I'm gradually reaching the end of my tether). On the plus side my daughter (aged 11) and I take the dogs to an agility club and my Beagle, Chloe, is in the display team and we also attend another training club for obedience work and heelwork to music during the week.
I've been working as a professional dog walker for 2 yrs but I'm going back to college (hopefully Sept) to study animal management with a view to getting enough UCAS points to then apply for a BSc Hons degree in Vet Nursing, which was my job before I had my first child.

I've joined this forum cos I'm hoping to get some ideas on how to deal with my two "mental" dogs. I've been watching "It's Me Or the Dog USA" on Sky for a while and think Victoria's methods are far the kindest and most effective I've seen. (I used to watch the Mexican guy - his Way didn't work for us, and I think it might have made things worse).

K x
dontpugme

Re: HI from Essex, UK

Post by dontpugme »

Hi and welcome to the forum. You should get plenty of help. The people here are very supportive. :)
--dontpugme
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

KatieChloe&Konni wrote: his Way didn't work for us, and I think it might have made things worse).
Welcome to the forum and good luck with school!

Yup, his Way didn't work on us either. It made me feel horrible and made my dog even more fearful and jumpy. Thankfully for Victoria's show, the folks on this forum, and the many books I've read (Ali Brown's, Patricia McConnell's, and Karen Pryor's to name a few) we're on the right track. So you've come to the right place. Best of luck to you!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome to the forums, KatieChoe&Konni! :D

Any help you need, just ask and we'll help! You could also join in our discussions or post anything about dogs, whether it is training, health, diet, or ideas or stories about your dog! :D

And, we don't bite either! :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Scuttlebutt

Post by Scuttlebutt »

Hello :)

I'm in Suffolk, UK so not a million miles away from you, also have rescue dogs (or as they're known in our family "Woodgreen Specials"!) and I'm often London-way for work - if you ever want an understanding ear over a coffee give me a yell and I'm sure we can work something out.
I am not lost, I'm merely temporarily geographically inconvenienced.