Hi from New Zealand :)

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AnnaBella

Hi from New Zealand :)

Post by AnnaBella »

Hi I'm Anna
Hubby and I are from the North Island of New Zealand and our little house is home to 2 spoilt cats, 2 noisy parrots and a boisterous 13 week old Huntaway x Greyhound x Bull terrier puppy, Bella, oh and us of course. We also have 2 miniature horses which live on the farm I work on.
I was drawn to this website by the fantastic show "Its me or the dog" which has just finished another run on NZ tv. I just love Victorias teaching methods and I'm looking forward to learning alot more about them.
I've started Bella with Clicker training, shes got a pretty consistant "sit" "down" and "speak" now, her recall, well, lets just say it needs more work :roll: . We are wanting to train her up for stock work as well, which should be an interesting journey, I've already been told now by a few people that she will be no good as a working dog as she is an "inside" dog. I refuse to believe this as I think I dog will do what its trained to do, reguardless of where it sleeps, I guess time will tell! I would love to hear from anyone that has dogs trained for stock work.
Anyway looking forward to getting to know everyone here, and learning alot!
***Melissa***

Re: Hi from New Zealand :)

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Hi, and welcome :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Scuttlebutt

Post by Scuttlebutt »

Hello from the UK.

I've never trained dogs for stock work, but I've known quite a few working sheepdogs and gundogs that do their job then spend the night curled up in front of the kitchen range (or even snuggled on their owner's bed) so I agree with you that if the training's there it doesn't matter if your dog sleeps inside or out!
I am not lost, I'm merely temporarily geographically inconvenienced.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello from the US and welcome to the forums, AnnaBella! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Tuggernaut

Post by Tuggernaut »

Hi Anna,

I just finished a book by Patricia McConnell where she discusses human behavior and how it is perceived by our dogs. However, in this book she discusses her farm and working dogs which seem to be very happy to snuggle up inside after a long days work. I don't believe having a dog indoors will effect the way the doggy performs his duties on the farm. Good Luck and welcome to the forums!

Carl
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hi Tuggernaut! :D I have a question for you: What's the title of the book by Patricia McConnell you've just read?
Tuggernaut

Post by Tuggernaut »

The Other End Of The Leash. Very interesting book about our behaviors and doggy behavior. I couldn't put it down!
AnnaBella

Post by AnnaBella »

Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome, that books sounds really interesting Tuggernaut, I should really check it out, Patricia McConnell has a website and blog too right?
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Thank you for telling me the title of the book by Patricia McConnell you read, Tuggernaut! :D It does sound like an interesting book and I'm going to check it out soon! :D