10 month old lab and baby on way!!

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lucielocket30

10 month old lab and baby on way!!

Post by Lucielocket30 »

Hi all am new to this forum. Please help I have a 10 month old black lab
jake. Generally his behaviour is very good but these points we need help with as baby due in 3 months.

1. Gets walked for at least 2 hours a day mainly off a lead. But when wants to go out nips plays up and generally goes mad until gets taken out.

2. At night he refuses to go out for last pee and I end up nearly pushing him out but he bites us. I know o need to positively encourage him to go out but don't know how??P

3. When on a lead when first goes out to get to his free walk he bites lead like mad.

4. Generally if he doesn't want to move or do something he won't unless involves a treat. If try move him nips u.

Please help us with some techniques thanks
Mattie

Re: 10 month old lab and baby on way!!

Post by Mattie »

Lucielocket30 wrote:Hi all am new to this forum. Please help I have a 10 month old black lab
jake. Generally his behaviour is very good but these points we need help with as baby due in 3 months.

1. Gets walked for at least 2 hours a day mainly off a lead. But when wants to go out nips plays up and generally goes mad until gets taken out.
Teach him to go to his basket, blanket etc on command and stay there. I found this the best method with my dogs, it isn't a punishment and shouldn't be used as one but all dogs should be trained to do this, it is very useful at times. Obviously you don't leave him there for a long time.
2. At night he refuses to go out for last pee and I end up nearly pushing him out but he bites us. I know o need to positively encourage him to go out but don't know how??P
Take him out, if he won't follow you put a lead on and lead him out, lots and lots and lots of praise when he goes.
3. When on a lead when first goes out to get to his free walk he bites lead like mad.
A lead with a chain near the dog will stop this, dogs don't like biting chains.
4. Generally if he doesn't want to move or do something he won't unless involves a treat. If try move him nips u.

Please help us with some techniques thanks
You need to retrain him, try clicker training and once he understands what you want, fade out the treats be treating every other time then only when he does it quickly etc. Don't forget to praise as well, many think that treats are enough, they are not.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Lucielocket30

Post by Lucielocket30 »

Thanks very much for this will look up sine if the methods u mentioned thank u
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Welcome to the forums, Lucielocket30! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
tinytwo

Post by tinytwo »

Welcome! And, congratulations on the puppy AND the baby! :D
Diane, and pups Harper and Abby
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

Welcome!
vicki

Post by vicki »

Welcome! I have 2 dogs and a 13 week old baby so know you're in for a busy time :mrgreen: