hi from manchester uk

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cathyd

hi from manchester uk

Post by cathyd »

hi everyone

have just discovered its me or the dog tv programme and it has really helped with giving me ideas on how to train my new puppy. Rosie is a 7 month old cavalier king charles spaniel and we have had her nearly 2 weeks and i love her to bits.

Just wondered if anyone could give me some advice on taking her for walks, when we first got her she refused to walk on the lead (dont think she had ever been for a walk before) she was very scared and shaking but after taking her for short walks everyday she quite enjoys it now and will even walk out the front door by herself!! My problem now is she yaps and whines whilst out and jumps up at me this gets worse as we are approaching home and she starts to yap really loudly, does anyone have anyone have any ideas on what i can do and why she is doing this?

Thanks Catherine :D
emmabeth

Re: hi from manchester uk

Post by emmabeth »

Heyyyyy fellow Manchester person, welcome to the forums :D
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

Welcome! and aaaaw I love Cavaliers so much!
kellydemery

Post by kellydemery »

Hi,

It seems to me that your dog is just really enjoying the walks. Now that she is finally enjoying the walk maybe she just simply wants to be out longer. If you think of it like the way we like chocolate or what ever, at first the dog wasnt fussed now the dog enjoys it, but then the dogs being taken back to house. If some one took chocolate away from you after you clearly enjoying it you'd want it more am i right ? so may be its her signal that the dog wants to be out. It may also be confused by this fact to, that one minute shes forced to go out the next when the dog wants to stay out its being brought back.

if he dog jumping on you, follow Victoria's advice and turn your back, eventually the dog will get bored. If all else fails why not introduce a treat to signal that coming back from a walk is just as good as going, the dog will associated coming back gome as a good thing.

hope this helps