Please help us

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lennox

Please help us

Post by lennox »

Hello my name is Caroline. I am writting today with a very heavy heart, as we had 5 dogs who all lived in harmony with each other, then in the last year we have lost our 15yr old German Shephard to a heart tumor and then 9 weeks to the day we lost our 12yr old English BUll Terrier to lung cancer. So we went from 5 dogs to 3 in just a few weeks which nearly broke our familys heart. That left us with three dogs, George an 8yr old yorkie - Lennox a 5yr old American Bull dog cross and finally Juicy our Boxer. Then yesterday for no reason other than how Lennox looks the police and dog warden showed up at my door and took Lennox away and said that because he is x inches tall and his muzzle is x inches long they are going to distroy him as he is a pitbull. I seen both his parents when I got him as a pup, his mum was a pedagree American Bull dog and the father was a Staffie/Lab mix. No one has made a complaint about him, none of our dogs including him have ever been introuble, we as a family have never been in trouble. We just miss him so much we dont know what to do, so we are looking to the dog lover society for any help - advice - support we can to try and bring Lennox home. He suffers from stress which our vet helps us manage which causes him to have hair loss, so we are very worried about him. He has never spent a night away from us or his kennel mates, and has a fear of strangers so how will he manage on his own in a kennel surrounded by strangers. We don't know what to do or who to turn to, someone please help. We are also setting Lennox up with a bebo + face book page to get his story out there. Please help us.
rdoyle

Re: Please help us

Post by rdoyle »

Is there anyway to prove that he is not a pit like with the mothers papers and His father pic to show that he is not a pit. Maybe something like that. are you going to go to court about this. they have to have something to let you prove that he is not pit may bloodwork like a DNA test.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Contact Deed not Breed as soon as you can, http://deednotbreed.org.uk/index.php?op ... &Itemid=50

They will give you lots of advice on how to deal with this and give you backing. Whatever you do, and I hope you haven't already done it, sign your dog over, if you do they will pts him, if you don't sign him over they can't unless he attacks someone.

Deed not Breed are very good, they have managed to get most of the dogs back home and registered under the DDA.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I am so sorry about the loss of your dogs, I have lost 3 in 6 months and know just how devastating this can be, loosing one is bad enough, more so quickly is horendous. 2 were on borrowed time, the 3rd was very unexpected. {{{HUGS}}}
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
lennox

Post by lennox »

Thank you for you support . We are fighting to get him back and will end up in court over it, and I could also loose my job if I end up with a criminal record, but this will not put me off fighting for him. We have been intouch with DDA watch and are getting a solicitor. Lennox is neutered, micro chipped, insured, DNA registered and also registered with pet safe. We have set him up with a web site, bebo page, facebook page and myspace page and are taking adds out in the papers to get his story out. Please visit www.savelennox.co.uk if you have a minute to spare and sign our petition and please ask all your family and friends who care about animals to sign as well. My whole family sends you our thanks for supporting us in our plight to bring him him home. x
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

We are all here for cyber support, (((hugs)))
Please keep us updated
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

rdoyle - as ridiculous as this sounds ... it doesnt matter WHAT a dogs ancestry is, his parents could be any dogs, KC registered labrador x KC registered staffie, in fact this cross, and KC reg staffies HAVE been snatched under these laws.

The problem is that the law doesnt just ban 'American Pit Bull Terriers', it also bans 'type' dogs, and that is where dogs like the OP's dog fall - so it is absolutely irrelevant who their parents were, that there is DNA records to prove that this dogs parents were whatever they were... it is the fact that the dog looks like and falls within, certain parameters set by the authorities, that makes it a 'pitbull type' dog, and nothing else..

So in a litter of say, American Bulldog x Labrador pups - three could grow up to be 'pitbull' types, and three could grow up not to be, in the same litter!

The law is all about appearances, if it looks like they say a pitbull type dog looks, then it IS a pitbull type dog, thus it is illegal - end of story.

Temperament, ancestry, genetics, breed registrations, the specific dogs behaviour are not relevant.

Utterly and totally ridiculous.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant