Hello!

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bikersblu

Hello!

Post by bikersblu »

Hi there

Ive already posted a few times but would like to take the opportunity to formally introduce myself :)

I'm 29 (almost 30 :shock: !) year old Mum of 3 boys. I have a 7 month old staffy X Chinese crested pup called Leo who is my bundle of love but he does have issues with other dogs...he's fine with my mothers 5 year old yorkie, but any other dog he tends to yelp and lunge at. He used to be fine with other dogs, curious even, but has had 2-3 bad meetings with some nasty dogs and now it seems his trust has dissapeared.

Ive met some great people on this site and had some brilliant advice but am forever learning and always willing to learn :)
***Melissa***

Re: Hello!

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Hi, and welcome
You will def learn a lot on here, we all do :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
bikersblu

Post by bikersblu »

Im always open for advice and try a lot of things I have read in here. Before I was just sort of getting by with him. but when Leo started his aggression towards other dogs, I knew where to come :) Am trying the technique out but as theres not many dogs about when we go out its hard to see if theres any progress :lol: but in the house he's getting a lot better with commands.

Now he does the following tricks with ease (sometimes lol I think his brains still on scatty puppy mode! SO now and again he needs coaxing and repeating)

Sit
Down (off chairs and sofa)
Lay down (I also point to the floor and he knows the difference)
Paw
Tickle tummy (he'll roll for his tummy to be tickled...its quite funny)
Drop (sometimes)
Dance (which he procceeds to do across the floor...its a wonder he stays upright when his tails wagging so hard while he does it :lol: )
Fetch it (when we play...and sometimes if I tell him to get something)
Wait
Leave it
Quiet
find (I can tell him to find a member of the household and almost everytime he'll find who I was him to find...its all a game to him!)
he'll also respond if I say who's coming and he'll race to the back door, or the living room window to see who it is lol
and he also does catch...I use a treat and toss it, 9 times outta 10 he catches it lol

But he is having problems on the lead, but I just walk the other way with him and he's slowly learning to do u'ies. But am training ihim in the house or the garden as he gets too excited when we're outside
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Wow, that's a lot of tricks already - well done :D

Sorry, I can't remember, but did you have a read through Mattie's loose lead walking? (It's also based on u-turns)
Maybe it's a good thing that there's not many dogs about...it's good to introduce dogs veeeery slowly :D If you search through jacksdad's threads you'll find tons of info on that :D

Keep up the good work - it pays off in the end :wink:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
bikersblu

Post by bikersblu »

I hope so :) He's such a softie really and wouldnt hurt a fly (just spiders that the cat chases then Leo steals it and tries to eat it :lol: )

Well I have tried one thing and it seems to be working. he pulls a lot sometimes so I have been trying a different kind of technique that seems to be working! With treats occasionally I have had him on his lead and telling him behind and he goes behind me, then I say follow and he'll walk behind me on the lead! So yesterday he walked three lengths of our garden with me telling him follow and when he pulled I u-turned him and he's pickin it up real quick...once I can get him to walk like that on the lead, Im going to start walking where I think quite a few people walk with their dogs and use the distance at first like emmabeth told me to do in another post...then slowly but surely get closer...Im just as stubborn as him and I think he's slowly but stubbornly getting the message :lol: :lol: