Hi...I need advice, please!

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

biscuitsmom

Hi...I need advice, please!

Post by biscuitsmom »

Hi everyone, My boy Biscuit is nearly 9 yrs old, a Chinese Shar Pei and cancer survivor...Im having a real problem with his reaction to fireworks. Some of our neighbors have already been setting them off every few days. He's always been frightened by them, but this spring is absolutely the worst! He shakes so hard it just about kills me...I turn the tv volume up and constantly talk to him and pet him, trying to ease his fear. Im really worried if I need to leave him and it happens while Im gone, he'll have a heart attack, he gets so upset. I always leave tv on for him, if I need to go...we have given him sedatives from the vet (Acepromazine 25 mg) which helps, but I dont want to drug him all summer....any suggestion would be much appreciated!
Horace's Mum

Re: Hi...I need advice, please!

Post by Horace's Mum »

There are two non-drug things you could try, one is called Zylkene and the other is skullcap and valerian herbal tablets. Both can be given longterm or short term, but they have a very good reputation for things like fireworks. Google them and see what you think.

You can also get special cds that you play to help desensitise the noise, might be worth a try too.