New to site

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Brooks

New to site

Post by Brooks »

Hi everyone, I am new to the site and am having a big housebreaking problem. I have 2 new puppies :D I live in Nashville, TN USA. We have about 30 acres for them to run on and I leave the back door open as much as I can. I bought 2 brothers and brought them home at 8 weeks. After 4 weeks of trying everything I can think of to house break them, one of them just does not get it. They are Giant Alaskan Malamute and Timber wolf mix. They are very smart and have learned sit, stay, leave it, come and walking on their leash is a piece of cake. Halo, the larger of the two just does not get the house breaking thing at all. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, Brooks
Brooks DePierro[/color]
emmabeth

Re: New to site

Post by emmabeth »

Woah.....

Firstly, welcome to the forums and secondly BOY do you have your hands full there..

Forgive me for asking but I am confused on the breed of your dogs as theres no such thing as a Giant Alaskan Malamute... only an Alaskan Malamute and if that is what the breeder has told you, I would be suspicious about any other facts they have given you on your dogs parentage.

Are they DEFINITELY Timber wolf x? Do you have the DNA certification to prove this.... its not me being picky, the problem is that if they are, they are not truly dogs and are likely to revert to wolf like behaviour with little warning.

Its also highly recommended that people get ONE pup at a time because puppies are incredibly hard work, just ask the parents of twins how much work two babies are.... puppies are more work, because they are mobile and have sharp teeth unlike human babies.

Is there any way you could take one of these pups back to the breeder, because you are seriously going to struggle to train both to a high level of obedience (and you will need to if they really are timber wolf x...).

Do come post in the dog training advice area of the forum about your two pups, whether you take one back or not we are willing to offer you help and advice, but do understand you have taken on an extreme challenge here, potentially a very unwise one and potentially you have been badly mislead by the breeder of these animals.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Ems I found this site that has info on the so-called Giant Alaskan Malamute.

http://www.wakongiantalaskanmalamutes.com/dogs.php
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Bwhahahahah, what a load of bs! Protect inuits from polar bears? ... or just bark noisily until they get swiped and then eaten by said polar bears?

And lets ignore all the evidence that shows that dogs over a certain height and weight make absolutely rubbish sled dogs... cost far too much to feed and wouldnt survive in such an environment (anyone doubts this.. read Coppinger, i dont agree with all he says but he does know a thing or three about sled dogs!)

Yet another made up invented breed designed to con $$$ out of unsuspecting puppy buyers.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
dodge-white boxer

Post by dodge-white boxer »

Jeeze,they are huge! Good job you ve got lots of land to give 'em a good run and exercise,no way would they be able to get what they need (I suppose!) just going for walkies! :lol: ) :D :D And to hold two (if you keep both of 'em) must be a mammoth task :shock: Have fun with your lovely dogs,xxx