So....Who's Who? - Introduce Yourself Here

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dee-n-Josh

Post by Dee-n-Josh »

Wow... Hi Hannah... yes, I read it all. I loved reading all of the stories of people and their pets.

So, hi, my name is Dee. I'm 37, live in Georgia. Josh, my husband, is in the US Army. My two teenage kids live with us. And, we're "owned by" Tiger & Solo. Tiger is a 3 year old, 45 pound, basenji mix (probably Kelpie or something like that). She has a beautiful brindle coat that still feels like downy-soft puppy fur. Solo is a 5 month old Rottie/German Shepherd mix. At 4 months old, he was a bit malnourished (when we got him)... but already weighed 30 pounds! And, his paws are as big as my palm. OH he's going to be a big guy. Both were shelter rescues. And, they are the sweetest, most loving dogs I have ever met.
McFeist

Post by McFeist »

Hi, my name is Sara Jo, and I just wanted to introduce myself. My husband and I live in Acworth, GA and we have three dogs and a cat in our animal family. Our rat terrier, Henry, is our newest addition--a rescue with a prosthetic eye. His foster family in rescue did that for him instead of having the eye removed sewn shut after battling a serious infection resulting in retinal detachment.

Henry is our first rescue dog, and it's been an incredible journey with him. Evidently he'd never been inside a house, or had any type of training, or even learned to climb stairs. Thankfully he was never abused, and he has this amazing spirit and is a fun-loving, happy little guy. Oh yeah, he's impeccable in the house, too! He's just a great dog all around.

I am so amazed at how far our Henry has come using positive, reward-based methods. When we first got him, he had big problems on the leash with reacting to almost everything that moved (he had just lost his eyesight in one eye two weeks prior to our adopting him). Now he is a normal, well-adjusted dog in most situations, although when other ill-behaved dogs lunge at him, he reacts strongly. Most of the time this isn't an issue as I've learned to keep my distance and be on guard.

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about positive training methods and how well these methods have worked out for Henry. It is truly an amazing thing to witness.

I've enjoyed the few episodes that I've caught of Victoria's show on Animal Planet, and I'm saddened that the new shows are no longer being filmed. It sure was a refreshing alternative to the other show.
Sara Jo

Henry's human
clairefoster

Post by clairefoster »

Hello everyone!
I have posted a few times on here now so I thought I ought to introduce myself properly!! You may have met us already as we were on IMOTD a couple of years ago after being lucky enough to recieve a visit from Victoria. So.... I have 2 Labs, Red and Jasper, who are (not perfect by any means), but one thousand percent better behaved these days. They still have huge personalities, and are loved very much, despite a time when I was at my witts end with them!!!

I also am the very proud mum to two children, Ellie who is nearly 3 and George who is 18 months. Both of whom adore the dogs. Then there is Chris the hubby. Yes we are still together even after the comments he made on TV :lol:
We are all gutted that the series is no longer on over here, but are thankful for this forum where we can still get help and advice. X
Crafty Hoosier

My Intro

Post by Crafty Hoosier »

Hi,
I thought I would introduce myself before I forget:)My dd and I love watching the show It's Me Or The Dog. That's how I came to find this board.

My dh and I live in Northern Indiana. We are soon to have 3 kids, 6 yr old dd, almost 3 yr old ds and baby is due mid September.
We also have 2 dogs and a cat. Pearl is a 2 yr old mix of German Short Hair Pointer, Blk Lab and possibly some Greyhound. Otto is guessed to be 2 and he's a German Shepherd. Oskar is our 10 yr old cat. We're not really cat people but since he sorta thinks he's a dog he fits in pretty well :wink:
Anita
Theresa

Post by Theresa »

Hi all, my name is Theresa, I am new to boards in general so please be patient with me as I learn. I live in Florida (U.S.) and am a former elephant trainer (14 years) with experience with large cats, primates and birds along with domesticated animals.

I currently work full time as a Veterinary Technician and do puppy training classes at the clinic where I work as well as in home personal training. I caught Vicotria's show one evening and have been hooked ever since.

I live with my soon to be husband who works for the florida fish and wildlife department as a bear response agent. We have 2 dogs, a great dane who was an abused rescue I adopted last year, 1 pug chihuahua mix (yes, he is kind of silly looking) 4 cats and an assortment of tarantula's, snakes, spiders, amphibians and fish, that we use in educational talks for schools, libraries etc...our goal is to teach young children the proper choices when it comes to animals and the responsibilties that go along with those choices.

I joined this forum because no matter how many years anyone has been training, it is amazing how much more we can always learn. I wanted a great place to find people to chat with and pick their brains on training methods and find new ideas etc...

Anyway, this has probably gotten way to long and I apologize....like I said, i'm new at this and terrible at computers.
bigboyullrich

Intro...

Post by bigboyullrich »

Hi! New member here. My name is Amelia and I live in Fort Worth, Texas.
I am the proud owner of three beautiful dogs.

The first dog is Sakura, a 5 year old Aussie/Heeler mix. Her name came from my mom. It means Cherry Blossom in Japanese. I suppose my mom thought that her red merle pattern resembled cherry blossoms. I adopted her from the local shelter when she was 8wks old. She was the product of an accidental litter. I believe she is the runt of the litter. I saw her brother at a Petsmart but he was already taken. That's when I was told of his sister at the shelter. After I had I already filled out the application, five other people put in requests to see her. Very smart girl, easy to train. Her favorite thing to do is to play frisbee and fetch any squeaky toy. Loves going to the river to play fetch. Very focused little lady, once she is told that is how it is done that is how it will be for eternity.

My second dog is the biggest dog I have ever owned. He is Ullrich the Boxer. I adopted him from a local boxer rescue group. He was dumped by his original owner. The rescue group believe that the owner had plans to breed but when one of Ullrich's eye did not develop (he is blind in his right eye) he dumped him. He is a gorgeous flashy fawn. Super mellow and loves children ( I don't have any so he must make do with my nieces). Ullrich loves to go on walks or go anywhere that I go. There is bar that allows dogs on the patio, so Ullrich and I go there once in awhile.

Last but not least is Lola. Lola is a Brittany Spaniel who just turned one on July 4th. I met her at the doggie daycare where I take my boxer. She kept appearing on his "report" card. I have been a long time customer and I know the owners well (husband and wife team). The husband mentioned the idea of Lola. So a meeting was arranged. Lola had to pass Sakura's inspection. Sakura loves people more than she loves dogs. But Sakura didn't seem to mind her presence, so Ullrich got a friend and now they go to daycare together. She has required the most training of any dog I have ever owned.

Great site, thanks for having me.
dogsRgr8
bordercolliemom

Post by bordercolliemom »

hi everyone. i just joined here. i love victoria stillwell. my mom and i watch her all the time. i am trying to get into veterinary school right now and am thinking about getting into animal behavior. anyways. i'm 24. proud parent of a 6 month old border collie rescue puppy. she's mostly white with a black spot on her behind. one black eye and two black pricked ears. her lips are black also, so it makes her look like she's wearing black lipstick! she's adorable! she has definately made me get out and do stuff! she's so smart and so much fun to train! i had a chihuahua for 9 years, before he had to be put down due to an incurable intestinal disease. marmaduke was my best friend and he is greatly missed!
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

Hello all!
my name is Kristen
I'm 24 and I live in Walla Walla, WA, USA (no joke)

and as my username implies, I'm Molly's Mom.

I have one dog and a cat.

Molly is 4 and we think she's a border collie/ malamute mix.
I'm terrible at introducing myself, so I'm going to stow it before I end up with a foot in my mouth!
HumanoidCarbonUnit

Post by HumanoidCarbonUnit »

Hi, I'm Sarah and I'm a huge geek. I'm 17 and own 3 dogs and 4 cats. I live in Michigan show in 4H with one of the dogs and my sister shows another. I love learning new things about dogs and to share what I have learned with non-doggy people. I like to do educational posters for 4H has have done 4 so far. I have done one on the GSD breed, Rare dog breeds, Why do dogs look like that? (it talked about why labs where stock and poodles had funny hair cuts and things like that), and Pit Bull Facts and Fictions (I am taking this one to fair this year). Next year I am doing one on Body Language and/or Dominance vs. Positive Training.

I'm not good at introductions so on to the dogs!

My first dog is Baron. He is an 11 and 1/2 GSD. I use to show him in 4H but he is retired now after he won Reserve Champion in On-Leash Obedience at a 4H last year. He is getting older but has only started to slow down in this past year. I think he might have DM sadly because he does have issues with his back feet. It doesn't bother him much though and he still runs about like a puppy everyday. Generally I have to physically stop him to get him to chill out when I think he is pushing himself to much.

The second dog at my house is Gimli. He is a five year old tweeny doxie. He was supposed to be a mini but weights about 13 lbs instead of 11 lbs. He gets along fine with both Baron and Duke and likes to play chase. My sister shows him in 4H and he loves her. He and I get along just fine but he will pass me up to say hi to my sister first. He is a great agility dog who is going to be trying off leash agility this year (the way it works at my 4H is dogs start on leash so they controlled and you work you way to off leash). He is really fast for his size and has beaten dogs such as Goldens in agility both point wise and time wise. He is not the most obedient dog in the world and likes to think before he does what he is told. Most of the time he does the right thing though.

Duke is the final dog my family has. He is 1 and 1/2 and my baby (he's not spoiled though). He is still working through his dumb-dumb years and still has days where he doesn't want to listen but they are few and far between now. He is very active and smart and is my current 4H dog. He is slightly aggressive towards other male dogs but I think it is mostly because he is not neutered yet. He will be shortly though. He is a joy to work with most of the time though he has times where you want to strangle him. He will bite at his leash if he gets too excited and won't walk over a spot where another dog as peed which leads to an odd side hop or jump to get over or around the spot. Other than that he is eager to work and quick to learn new things.
patty

Post by patty »

My name is Patty from the U.S. I joined the group a few hours ago. this is the first chat line I have been on. Please bare with me as I learn
patty
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

Hi I'm Lydia and 4 months ago we adopted Tiny our GSD from Dogs Trust. She had been starved and locked in a small room and are now begining to find out a host of other things that were inflicted on her. She had been breed numerous times and weighed only 26Kg when we adopted her. She is about 3 - 5 years old, freindly, loving and eager to learn and please.

My partner - Dave - has epilepsy and Tiny has saved him fro serious harm twice since we got her, by barking at me when he had gone upstairs and was hit by a seizure, I caught him just as he ws about to smash his head on the toilet while falling, she had followed me upstairs and when he had recovered (or so we thought) enough to get him to bed she stopped him from rolling downthe stairs when another seizure hit by laying in the way of the stairs and putting her rear end against the door frame, which his head would of hit in the convulsion.

Tiny adores our daughter, and loves children (especially for breakfast :lol: ), but doesn't like anyone who smells of alcohol. She has a fear of sticks and is terrified of umbarellas.

In the 4 months we have had her she has learnt to sit, stay, lay down and come when called - in the house. We are now trying to teach her to heal and come back when we are out (she does come back eventually while we are out) and to not growl when she has food or chew treats.

In september she goes for xrays on her spine and hips as she has difficulty walking and tends to drag her rear feet a little after more than half an hour of exercise - even while playing in the house. She goes outside to the toilet and we have not had any 'accidents' indoors at all.

Well thats all I can tell you about us and our wonderful Tiny.
Bright Blessings
Greywolf
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Hi Greywolf, you live not far from me, I am about 3 miles from junctions 38, 39 and 40 on the M1.:D

You have a wonderful dog, my husband was epileptic as well so I know what it is like.

There is a post in Methods on teaching a dog to walk on a loose lead, if you have any problems with it, let me know and I can come out and help.

One of my dogs has recently had an operation on his spine and is doing really well, he had his done in April by Calder Vets in Dewsbury, he now goes there for hydrotherapy. I do have a diary of his operation if you would like it. Please pm me your email address if you do.

Any help you need, let me know. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
yorkiegirl0812

Post by yorkiegirl0812 »

I am Lexi and I am 12 years old. I have a 9 week old Yorkie pup named Brandy !!!
!~Proud Yorkie and Gordon Setter Momma~!
fyrikaos

Post by fyrikaos »

hey all - i'm kelly - and i'm a sahm of a 3 year old rugrat quinlan. right now we are living in the south bronx ( not as bad as all the hype lol ) with a full house. Besides myself and my son, my finace jim ( wedding is just over 2 months away!) we have our 3 kitties and our newest addition - brandy.

we are technically fostering brandy, an 18 month old american staf terrier/ pharaoh hound - but as soon as we can get together with the woman from the rescue, she will be forever a part of the family. She wasn't socialized much in her old family it seems, so we are having a few bahavioral issues outside the home... inside she is an angel, fully house broken, plays great with my son and tho the cats avoid her like the plague, she has been getting good about remaining calm when they venture out!

besides playing mommy to all of my little fur babies and raising my mini evil kinevil - i run an online parenting forum for parents that aren't of the 'norm' ( ie tattoos, piercings, homeschoolers, breastfeeders, cloth diaperers etc) - so that is just like a full time job lol - and am also planning my fall '08 wedding.... so why oh why did we add another member to the crew? cause she is just too damn cute and i couldn't help myself!
"DO what thou wilt, Shall be the whole of the law"
Melly

I'm Melanie from Washington State, USA

Post by Melly »

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 45 year old stay at home mom living in Washington State, USA. I have an 8 year old son and hubsand of 10 years. Last month we found a wonderful breeder and purchased a Goldendoodle puppy. He's a wonderful pup and very intelligent. I couldn't ask for a sweeter, well behaved dog. His name is Buddy and as of August 8th, he was 12 weeks and is just about 22 pounds. I do believe he will be large! lol

I would just like to say that out of all the books and trainers that I have spoken with, I have had the best results following Victoria's methods. I've only recently started watching It's Me or the Dog and I am amazed how well her method of training works. I've ordered the book from Amazon and can't wait to read it!

I look forward to posting with you all here. :)