So....Who's Who? - Introduce Yourself Here

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cattledogowner

Post by cattledogowner »

Hello everyone!! I'm 14 years old and live in the United States with my wonderful 1 year old Blue Heeler, aka Australian Cattle Dog, named Hannah. I also have a half wild feline. Oh and I can't leave out my 3 adorable little fish!!
fortheloveofdanes

Call me newbie... :)

Post by fortheloveofdanes »

Hello everyone

New here, as you can tell from the title.

My name is Karen and I am proudly owned by two danes Montana Blue (nearly four this July) and Wrath (just turned three in January).

Married to Bryan with two step sons, Bryan Paul and Andrew.

Bryan is American and I am a Aussie. We were stationed in the UK - Suffolk, where we brought our two danes and shipped them back with us, they are our lives they are so super precious just love them.

Super glad to be here, big fan of Victoria and so happy that they show its me or the dog over here.

I am a Library Aid where i work part time at, Bryan is in the Air Force and we also run a monthly great dane play group and we meet once a month and do walks through the park. We also have four wolf hounds in our group...man what lovely dogs they are. The group is also pretty big into rescuing mainly danes but other breeds too, we like to help out where we can.

Really happy to be here, as i have had a look around and there are some very interesting topics going on that i have found very informative.

thanks for having me

Karen, Montana Blue, Wrath and the gang

yes i said the dogs before the family.... :):) thats why i am here :)
[img]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg319/fortheloveofdanes_photos/valsig1.jpg[/img]
Brook

Post by Brook »

Hi Everyone, I am New here.
I live in Virgina in the United States and I used to have 4 dogs. Our two oldest dogs, that lived to be about 14 and 15 years old have passed on. Now, we only had the two other female Golden/Lab mix pets that we love so much.
About a month ago we just aquired a beautiful black golden/lab mixed male, and he is 10 weeks old now. His name is Smokey.

One of the females name is Sandy, and she is 12 years old. The other female's name is Star, and she is 10 years old.

OK, here is my problem, Its been a very long time since I have had a baby pup, and when we got him the man thought at that time that Smokey was 8 weeks old, but he wasn't. We found that out later, when we questiioned the mans wife. It turned out that Smokey was actually 6 weeks old.
I was afraid to let him be introduced to our girls at such a young age, so we kept him secured in the bathroom with a baby gate, so the girls could see him, and smell him. I even put him on my lap sometimes for the girls to investigate him.
But, other than that I would keep him secured when the girls were out, and I would put the girls up when I would let him out of the bathroom.
It has worked out fine that way, so we could let him get a little older.

Now, he is 10 weeks old, like I said, and I believe this is a good time to start the introduction. I know that I should probably let him being with the girls one at a time, but I also would like suggestions on how to do this the proper way for both the Smokey and my older dog.
Any help for me Please..

Thanks,
Brook
ADogsBestFriend

Hi - Dog Walker Kent

Post by ADogsBestFriend »

Hi ya,

I run my own successful dog walking company in North Kent, and have done for the past year now :D

I have 3 Jack Russells of my own, Monty, Jasper & Eddie, and I am currently studying with Compass to learn Canine Behaviour, and the courses I have done so far I have passed with Distinction :lol:

So Hi
Maddie'sMom

newbie!

Post by Maddie'sMom »

Hello!
My name's Dana, I'll be 20 and I'm from Ohio...
I have a 6 year old Cocker Spaniel named Maddie - who I'm crazy about! She loves stuffed squirrels, and training - especially with food. We love to go on hikes, or to just 'hang out' together, going to pet stores and eating at outdoor restaurants. Or just waller on the couch and watch T.V
Then there's Missy, a German Shepherd rescued from a pound. She's around 5yrs old and is with us all of the time (she's technically my Dad's dog - but I claim her! lol!).

I'm going to college for Early Childhood Education, and I'm working at a Day Care. I'm also interested dog behavior and training - I think there are many similarities between young children and dogs, but its one of my pet peeves to have dogs humanized lol

I LOVE the show, and I've loved browsing the forum so far! Thanks for having me :D
Mila

Post by Mila »

Greetings from Oklahoma.

Well I am a 30 year old gal who is a recent college grad with a degree in Retail Merchandising. I live on my own with my house load of fur-kids.
I have 3 dogs, 2 cats and 2 rats. I began with 7 rats but tumors, congestive heart failure, liver failure and old age got the best of them.

Lois and Mia are the rats I have currently. They are sisters I got from a rat rescue that were born on January 1st of 2006. Lois has a tumor that is inoperable due to placement and her age. It is located on her back leg and groin area, but it doesn't stop her at all. She runs her wheel every day

My cats are Gabby who I found literally in the middle of nowhere after coming home from a friends wedding. My friends and I were carpooling in two cars. At a stop sign we rolled the windows down to discuss where the heck we were. We heard this kitten meowing rather loudly from a nearby tree. We fished her out of the tree and no one wanted or could have her but me so that's where she went. She was just a kitten and had a bleeding busted lip from who knows what. She is turning 8 years old in June.

13 is my other cat. I saw her living under the house next door. She was shy of everyone but me. She use to hang out in the backyard with my dogs which is rare for something to not get chased out of the yard by them. They use to all sit and chill together. Eventually I started letting her in to eat then just stopped letting her out for her safety. I took her in when she was a kitten and she just turned 4 years old on May 13th. She never did like anyone and would hide if someone was around, but she loves to lay on me and love on me. I don't know what it is but she belongs.

Now on to my beasts

Fallon is my female Mutt. She looks like she has some Border Collie and Dachshund in her, but who knows. She's my short stack. I got her when she was about 4 months old from a guy giving away dogs in the Wal-Mart parking lot (irresponsible dog owner ) She was in the back of the covered truck shaking and scared so of course my heart went out to her and I scooped her up. At the time I was dog shopping but I was looking for a Pomeranian. I'm glad I got Fallon instead she is my sidekick and less hair than a pom lol. She turns 7 years old in September of this year. She was the first dog I had from puppy hood.

Next I got Talena. She is a Husky/ACD mix. So I got my hairy dog lol. Actually what happened was my friend had given her to these people who wound up backing over her with their truck and breaking her leg when she was just a few months old. They let her get flea and tick infested so my friend took the dog back. She called me up and asked me to give her a nice loving home after her cast came off. Once Fallon and I met her we knew she was coming home with us. She was a puppy when I got her and she just turned 5 years old this April.

Lucky is my male white Siberian Husky that I found in my moms carport one day in July 2005. I initially called the dog catcher to come get him. Then as I'm waiting for him to show up I looked at the dog and was in utter shock. I could see the bones in his head, sides, legs. This is a hairy husky for goodness sakes. He had some weird lump the size of my fist on his side and was obviously flea and tick infested. I thought to myself there is no way the pound is going to spend time getting this boy into shape. They put down about 100 dogs a month so once the guy showed up to take him I told him never mind. I tried to lure the dog into my car but her couldn't even get up to walk. I picked him up and put him in my car and drove him straight to my vet. The vet told me he looked to be about 1 1/2 years old. He turns 5 years old this December. I can't count how many ticks we pulled off him. He weighed only 20 some odd pounds. He had rotten nubs for bottom K-9's (got those taken out). He also had broke his leg some time ago cause it is all healed oddly. He still runs and gets around just fine. When I bathed him the water ran pink with flea dirt. I don't know how this dog got like this but I knew he was going to get a spoiled life with me and the girls.
The lump on his side was still a mystery at this point. Three days after taking him in it burst open and blood was everywhere. Eventually my vet narrowed it down to being a grass awn/seed that has embedded itself into his abdominal wall now. We still to this day go and get the site drained and surgeries (think we are up to nine or ten surgeries). My vet says he can fit his index finger straight into the cavity it is burrowing. He can't find the grass awn/seed. It has moved through the years from his front shoulder to his back leg. I feel awful for him having to constantly have a hole open in his side. I have to squeeze junk out of it daily. He is so sweet despite all this. I mean if it were me I would be angry and cranky and would not allow anyone to touch me. Lucky doesn't mind at all. He lets me and the vet do what we need to do. No complaints. I named him Lucky cause I thought he was lucky I found him and took him in lol I don't know though poor guy. I do anything for him and the girls too.
Winterwish

Hello from NY :)

Post by Winterwish »

Soon after seeing Victoria Stilwell's show on Animal Planet,I came to this website. I really like her way of working with the dogs and people,and am very glad to see there's a forum as well.

Right now I don't have a dog,but once I get a few home things in order,I'll be adopting another greyhound,maybe two.
My dear greyhound Dreamer had to be helped to heaven in October at almost 13 due to a tumor in his blessed heart.
Such a good,good boy....I can't wait to bring home another. :)

Greetings to all of you! and now I'm off to look thru' the forum!
Winterwish

mila

Post by Winterwish »

Mila,how nice to read about your 'beasts'. Sounds like they're given a whole lot of love,and Lucky,what a sweetie!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

First post!

My name is Karen, I live in Queens, New York, with my partner Lauren and our 9 1/2 month old black lab mix, Murphy. We adopted Murphy about 6 weeks ago from North Shore Animal League. We'd decided nearly a year ago that we were ready to adopt a dog, so we did tons of research on breeds to see what type would be most appropriate for our lifestyle (that is, apartment life in the city, limited access to a yard, and a park that is over a mile away walking distance). Then I discovered Victoria's show, so I watched that religiously for a couple of months before we went to the shelter to look for our new friend. Of course, no amount of research could possibly have prepared us for actually having Murphy in our lives, but there were so many seemingly small tips that I got from Victoria's show that really got us started on the right foot.

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now (lurking around as a proper newbie should) and searching topics for questions I've had, and I figured why not introduce myself now.

So hi everyone! :-)

-Karen
Ry

Post by Ry »

I'd be Ryan. It says I'm from Pennsylvania...so yeah, that's it. I have a very old Cocker Spaniel, who's very content with sleeping and squeaking his toys. Glad to be here.
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

Hello everyone! I just stumbled upon this forum yesterday - I never knew this website had it own forum. I HAD to join. I'm a big fan of Victoria's book and show, and enjoy dog training and nutrition very much.

My name is... also Victoria... *cough* But let's just call me Cheetah. I am 23, and I live in Denver, Colorado, in the US. I'm the proud owner of two dogs, among other pets. Allow me to introduce my two dogs:

Eevee is an 8-year-old, female Border Collie mix who I found at the local shelter when I had just turned 15. She was 8 months old then, and came with her fair share of puppy problems. Unfortunately, my family abused her at some point when I wasn't around (found out later), and it took a couple years of training to bring her back from it. Now I've been living on my own with her for years, so I never have to worry about that again. I enjoy hiking and camping with her.

Shippo is a 2-year-old, male "Fluffy" Pembroke Welsh Corgi. He was purchased from a show breeder in Canada, reputable I assure you (titles, health tests, contracts and all that good stuff). He is my first dog ever from a breeder, and was also my first dog to get his CGC (Eevee will follow suit once I get more money for the test lol). I plan on doing some agility and flyball with him, along with therapy work, once he passes the therapy dog test. He's my first corgi and I'm in love!

Anyway, it's great to be here! I can't wait to start participating and get to know everyone! I'll have to post some photos of my dogs on the photo thread.
Eevee, 10-year-old Border Collie mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo), 4-year-old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
BusyBee

Hi all- a new intro. here...

Post by BusyBee »

My name is Carol, and I am a SAHM in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, USA. My husband and I have 5 children, ranging from 2 to nearly 14 yrs. old, that I homeschool.

We just recently had to put our 13 yr old mixed breed, Otis, to sleep. :cry:

We now have our Bichon Frise, Marshmallow, whom we took from my uncle when he was not able to care for her anymore. She's a diva of sorts and likes to pull hunger strikes when the mood hits her. I love her dearly- she's the best snuggle bug ever! She's very much a "women's" dog, she's not very fond of men, but she does like my husband. He's a napper, and she snuggles on in for a snooze whenever the opportunity arises. She also likes to jump on his belly right after her bath- its become somewhat of a ritual now that she seems to take child-like pleasure in, and I get quite a giggle from it too!

We also have a 1 1/2 yr old terrier of some sort (I think :?: ), Emily Ann. We just adopted her from the local SPCA almost 2 weeks ago now. I've been training her here at home and she's really smart and sweet.

I look forward to talking to you all....

Bye!
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hey all, hope this day finds you well. I have been checking this place out, so many forums, so little time.... :lol:

I am Tim, a retired 42 year old, married with kids, living in Maryland, USA. Two of my kids have grown up and moved out. My oldest daughter and she took our pup Jenna (a collie) with her (yes I call our dogs children). My other three kids, two humans (boy 14, girl 16) one dog (2), Eddie a Lab /Sheppard mix, still home with us. I also have a 55 gallon tank with an albino plac (don't ask me to spell the rest of his name) and two guramis (the other fish finally gave up the ghost a few months ago after eight wonderful years). More fish will be coming, after the guramis have their family (they have mated!)

Eddie is a great dog, especially now that I have really started working with. I didn't want a dog when my wife & daughter brought him home. I knew how much work went into caring for a dog and felt I just didn't have it in me any more. Well, Eddie showed me I did, so for the past year we have really been working hard.

We have been talking about getting another dog, though that is still up in the air right now. I look forward to chatting with you all, exchanging ideas and information to help us all have a better relationship with out four legged children. :D
rogansmummy

Post by rogansmummy »

Hi, Im Josie and im from the UK. Currently owned by Oscar my jack russel, Macy my Bull terrier and Rogan my Dogue de bordeaux :D
www.naughtypawz.co.uk
daneluver

Post by daneluver »

I thought I'd just introduce myself again - only more detailed this time :)

My name is Hannah and I live with my 2 Cats, Socks (3 yrs.) and Mud (9 months) and my little Golden, Guinness Murphy in Maine (ME), USA.

I love the Show "It's me or the Dog", but I love her especially. I have gotten a hold of her before and she was very kind about everything.
I also like that she does positive training. She gives corrections, but nothing that will hurt the dogs in anyway, things more such as they are not getting what I want, but I will get what I want if I ______.
Well, that's sometimes how it is, but I'm sure most of you know this by now.

I think that Victoria is a Great Trainer and is Very Kind and I personally think is quite pretty.

I love Danes, as they are my favorite breed. Sweet, Loving, Loyal, Good with Children, Good Family Pets, Beautiful and I just love Huge dogs – whether it means a shorter lifespan or not, it’s worth having them while you do.

I also love most other Giant Breeds. I like breeds with the same or similar personality traits as Danes, but hey, there are individuals out there. I am also not saying that I hate all dog breeds, because technically, I like them all, it’s just that some are not right for me.

Some large and most giant breeds are usually right for me, but there are some medium and small dogs that I like.

But Danes, Saint Bernard’s, all types of Mastiffs, Wolfhounds, Deerhounds and Newfoundland’s take the highest place in my heart. I also do like Golden Retrievers, but they are not really perfect for me and Guinness has shown me that – but that doesn’t mean they are bad for me, I just could have chosen something else for a better choice – Oh, what am I saying!? Guinness is terrific!

Guinness just turned 11 weeks yesterday. He is a very sweet boy and we have been working on training. He came form a great home where he discovered sounds, people, lots and lots of children under the age of 5 and they really cared about him. I am glad to have him. Oh, and something interesting is that he was born on the same date as my little brother, April 11th – Only Guinness was born this year :)

We obviously don't have much of a story about him for you. I was working on "Watch me" yesterday and he was fantastic. I have also been working on Turing in the other direction while on walks when he is pulling me, barking or chasing something that he shouldn't, such as people on bicycles.

Not long ago I had a Great Dane puppy named Titus.
He was a Beautiful Harlequin and loved attention, always wanted to be with his people, but something went wrong - nothing health related or anything though.

Now to introduce my two kitties...

Firstly, the first year we lived in our house, we decided to get a cat in the late summer of '06. I wanted a kitten but then there was Socks, the lovable, beautiful and sweet kitty who was also silly and just wanted your love. So, we got Socks - and Oscar who I will soon be talking about.

Now I’d like to tell you about Miss Mudley.
Mud is an adorable little (she’s actually little) kitty. She is getting closer to an adult and even when she’s 2 years old (if she’s still here that is), we’ll probably still be calling her a kitten or, “The Kittenâ€
This is a REAL Tip ;)
If I give advice at night I'm probably tired and brain-dead at the moment, so unless someone give the same advice as me - and are experienced and like positive methods,

DON'T LISTEN TO ME!! :)

[email protected]