So....Who's Who? - Introduce Yourself Here

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kscavs

Post by kscavs »

Hello! I'm a newbie to the board. I'm nearing 30, but that means I'm still 29. I'm a woman with three Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. (I currently have a 4th Cavalier foster who will hopefully be on her way to her forever home soon!) We live in Kansas, USA.

I've been involved with dogs for a number of years, but in the last 3 years I've become active in my local kennel club. I often teach the club's puppy and obedience classes. I'm always learning new techniques from those with more experience, and I enjoy helping novice dog owners improve their relationships with their dogs.

Here are my three cavaliers:

Cedar (tri) is our little benevolent leader. She takes everything in stride.
Willow (blenheim) is our puppy mill rescue turned beauty queen. She LOVES being groomed.
Holly (ruby) is another rehome/rescue; she's a little selfish spitfire. Regular work with agility has helped her learn control and focus, which has helped me keep my sanity!
Darkaia

Post by Darkaia »

Hello, Im fairly new here. Im 20 years old and i live in Tucson, Arizona. Im currently finishing my last credits for high school and after that i want to become a behavioral dog trainer. Before i wanted to be a dog trainer i wanted to become part of the CSI lab in my town working in the lab. I figured dog training would be more beneficial for me and the people i work with. I feel it will be more fun as well.

I have one dog, Bear, who is a red healer mix. I got him from my step sister whose red healer got pregnant from a random black dog that got loose. We also have his brother Angel in the house but he's my fiance's mothers dog.

I really want to do agility lessons with my dog bear because he loves to jump and he loves running. But its seems it may be too expensive.

Here is Bear sitting up for the camera :)
Future Dog Trainer
puglvr

Post by puglvr »

Hi evry1!
My name is Myra, I am 13 and live in washington state!

i live with my mom and uncle, and we have an 8 year old pug named ruby and her 3 year old son onyx! they are the jewels of my life!

I have my own dog walking bussiness in my neighborhood, that is sadley not going very well. i also volunteer at an animal shelter by my house. i have been doing this for almost 2 years and absolutely love it!

when i first saw IMOTD i immediatly fell in love with it. and victoria stilwell became my biggest role model/idol!

when i grow up my dream is to be a Veterinarian.
K9S R GR8!

Pugs are like potato chips, you cant just have one!
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

puglvr wrote:Hi evry1!
My name is Myra, I am 13 and live in washington state!

i live with my mom and uncle, and we have an 8 year old pug named ruby and her 3 year old son onyx! they are the jewels of my life!

I have my own dog walking bussiness in my neighborhood, that is sadley not going very well. i also volunteer at an animal shelter by my house. i have been doing this for almost 2 years and absolutely love it!

when i first saw IMOTD i immediatly fell in love with it. and victoria stilwell became my biggest role model/idol!

when i grow up my dream is to be a Veterinarian.
well you're on the right path if you wish to become a vet!
WSU Pullman has an AMAZING veterinary school with one of the best large mammal facilities around.(Washingtonian here as well)
Good luck with your business! There really sadly aren't many people who see the point behind a good walk here in the NW.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
lkrume

Hello all,

Post by lkrume »

I am Linda, also from Washington state. I'm a semi-retired RN and have 3 dogs that own me.

Myra, I wished you lived closer because I would certainly employ your services as a dog walker! My dogs would love it!

I have a 9 yr old Cairn Terrior named Fergus. A 5 yr old Peekapoo named Gar and my baby, Dudley, a 1 yr old Maltese. All are spoiled rotten (my fault, I know) and I'm in desparate need of some good training tips. I've just recently been introduced to Victoria Stilwell and am exploring her techniques and tips.

Linda
lab69

Post by lab69 »

8) Hi, my name is Lori from Pennsylvanina, USA.

Always had dogs all my life. My mom bred poodles (not sure of the name) and would house break them before interviewing families.

Been Married 18yrs. 3 kids. 2 girls on the autisic spectrum. Our first dog and first love was our black lab, midnight. WONDERFUL DOG!!!!! She died 2yrs ago @ xmas. We all reflect on this dog at least once a day. She was another "mommy" to my kids. Gentle, but yet, didn't take thier crap! Barked when someone strange was near our yard,,,but didn't bark at every little thing. Midnight nurtured our current dog, Riley, Mixed Boarder Collie and English Pointer. Rileys mom died a few weeks after birth so the family gave out the puppies prematurely. We bottle fed Riley for 2 weeks and weaned her to "dog food". Midnight, the lab, played and taught her "doggly things". She slept with Riley in the Kennel every night.

Anyway.....

Behavior problems with Riley and our newest addition,,,"Mr. Pippers", a chi-wa-wa (sp?) has brought me here. Victorias show is sooooo informative!

Despite my husbands protests,,,I loved how our lab, Midnight, would put her foot down with our girls, especially our youngest.

She would nip and growl when she had all she was going to take. I left that go. The yougest girl learned!!!!!
lab69

Post by lab69 »

8) Hi, my name is Lori from Pennsylvanina, USA.

Always had dogs all my life. My mom bred poodles (not sure of the name) and would house break them before interviewing families.

Been Married 18yrs. 3 kids. 2 girls on the autisic spectrum. Our first dog and first love was our black lab, midnight. WONDERFUL DOG!!!!! She died 2yrs ago @ xmas. We all reflect on this dog at least once a day. She was another "mommy" to my kids. Gentle, but yet, didn't take thier crap! Barked when someone strange was near our yard,,,but didn't bark at every little thing. Midnight nurtured our current dog, Riley, Mixed Boarder Collie and English Pointer. Rileys mom died a few weeks after birth so the family gave out the puppies prematurely. We bottle fed Riley for 2 weeks and weaned her to "dog food". Midnight, the lab, played and taught her "doggly things". She slept with Riley in the Kennel every night.

Anyway.....

Behavior problems with Riley and our newest addition,,,"Mr. Pippers", a chi-wa-wa (sp?) has brought me here. Victorias show is sooooo informative!

Despite my husbands protests,,,I loved how our lab, Midnight, would put her foot down with our girls, especially our youngest.

She would nip and growl when she had all she was going to take. I left that go. The yougest girl learned!!!!!
Missymay

Post by Missymay »

Hi all. I'm Kim and I'm from PA also.

I am a 42 year old mother of two, grandmother of one, who is owned by 6 dogs.

Angel, my first pom baby
Demon, my hubby's pom boy
Princess, the pug we bought for our daughter, who stayed when she left :D
Merlin, a mill dog who got out young
Asher, my introduction to clicker training and my teacher and guide
Kaluha, a little pom boy who spent 10 years in a cage producing pups for the pet trade

I am a chemist with a passion for behavior. I do dog rescue work with a large emphasis on the puppy mills. I am also a dog trainer with a very small clientel.

I am always happy to meet new trainers and behavior wonks like me.
Kim and Asher

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotionâ€
CaliforniaMike

Post by CaliforniaMike »

Hi, My name is Mike and I am a professional dog trainer. I am also a husband, a father, a Rotarian, and a friend to all four legged and furry (xoloitzcuintli are still friends they just miss the furr component). I am a proud pop of a pit mix named pep. I am a firm supporter of Victoria and her training methods. I look forward to meeting many of you and would be happy to contribute any knowelege I have.
Mike

"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. "
~St. Francis of Assisi
thenerdycyclist

Post by thenerdycyclist »

Howdy. I'm Liz, a 21-year old college kid from the middle of the U.S. (Kansas).

I have four dogs in my life, one at my home and three at my boyfriend's home:

1. The dog at my house is an almost 13-year old Rat Terrier named Pepper. She's crazy and still acts like a puppy in her elderly years.

2. The second-to-oldest dog is a mixed breed named Sadie. She's 7, and we think she's part Beagle part German Shepherd. The Beagle comes out quite a bit and it makes it fun to play with her.

3. The second-to-youngest dog is a dog that is obviously Jack Russell Terrier mixed with Chihuahua. Her name is Sam, aged 3, and she is a psycho ball of energy.

4. The youngest dog in my life is a dog that was adopted in March. His name is RiffRaff and he is 8 1/1 months old. He really is what I'd call a "super mutt". Originally we thought he'd only be about 40 pounds full grown, but he was just weighed the other day and he tipped the scales at 58 pounds! He's going to be a biigggg boy.
Confessions62606

Post by Confessions62606 »

Hi my name is Jack, Im 14 years old i live in Cheshire, Connecticut USA.

I Have a step dog ShitZu named sushie....im not too fond of her.
I hope one day soon to get my own Dachsund and if its a boy name him Sylvester or Sly, and a girl name her Clementine or Tina.

I am a freshmen in highschool.

I hope to work with animals one day, not sure what kind.

I love to watch wrestling, and my favorite singer is Madonna.
[img]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/__cannispuppis__/dachsund.jpg[/img]
smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache »

Hello all! First post. My name is Jackie, and I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area in California. I recently graduated with a BA in Art, but spent the last year training horses, and became really interested in training dogs, especially for trail companions. I grew up with two Dalmatians, and helped my mom show and train them for the ring and agility. Smart dogs, Dalmatians, but stubborn!

Right now, I'm living back at home, with my parents' cat and new dogs: Kimba, 1 year old cat, thinks he's a dog because Brandy used to bathe him as a kitten; Brandy, 4 year old Doberman (It's true. She's a softie.); and a 3 year old spitfire named Zoie, which we think is a Pekinese/Cavalier King Charles mix. She thinks she's an Akita and barks at everybody. And never seems to stop moving or panting.

I have two cats of my own (Mushu and Lyon) that my mom and I caught as feral kittens. They are love bugs, although still voracious eaters. Pretty smart though... a friend told me that cats could not be trained, so I trained my cats to sit, stay, and go into a crate. VERY helpful when you're constantly moving from house to house!

At a point when I'm settled down in one place for a while (which will be very soon, I hope) I plan on bringing a dog into my home. I am hoping to get one kind of young so it can get used to the cats as cohabitants and not prey, and also so I can bring it to the barn to get to know horses too. We'll see.

I am really excited to be a part of this forum and learn what I can. I love working with animals and learning their language, and I hope at some point I can help other owners learn it too. Victoria's methods make a lot of sense to me, and I want to learn more!
Chloe&Atlas'smom

Hi

Post by Chloe&Atlas'smom »

I am Mandy, stay at home mommy to 2 boys 13 yrs and 13 months, 2 APBT Chloe, 4 months and Atlas just a baby at 8 weeks. I also have 2 cats and 1 husband. I love animals and would rescue any one I could if I had the room!!
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

It is interesting to read these introductions :)

Gives you a good feel about people...

Me, Im a former Swedish gal that moved to USA. I have right now three dogs, one rottweiler shar pei mix almost 8 years old that came with me from Sweden. She has perfect obediance, and is an amazing dog, not that she heels perfectly but she always listens. She is my pride and joy, barely used a lead on her during her entire life, I mostly put it on when I notice people not being comfortable for respectfullness.

Missy, is a little pitmix, I found her last November on the street of Richmond, VA where I spent my summer (I donated a kidney to a friend from another dogforum down there), she was emaciated, covered with fleas, and scabs after bitewounds, she also had a couple of big scars, the vet said she was about 6 months old, I would guess closer to four due to her behavior and size. She is scared of dogs and does some lunging but with a lot of slow socialization and basic training around other dogs she is now halfway to full recovery. she is good with them once introduced under safe curcomstances and have no resource guarding what so ever, she is just scared at first which is not a surprise. She was either used as a bait dog or they tried to make her into a fighting dog. Animal control told me if I surrendered her she would be put to sleep cause they didn't adopt out any pits or pit mixes no more due to their rep. Missy on top of that was nippy, jumpy, barking, lunging and she could bite holes in me just during panicky wild play that was out of control. The odds on her getting a home was cero.. My old lady usually don't like pits (I have had several aggressive ones that has been under rehab that sorry to say have attacked her) but she accepted Missy and Missy treated Tasha with a whole lot of respect. So Missy even gets away with sitting on Tasha.. so I kept her..

In April this year, I found a posting on craigslist, 4 year old rottweiler, free to good home, first person come and get him, be warned he is aggressive... I knew directly being in NY what kind of people who would usually respond to such an add, so I ran there brought my dogs, he was good with them, not good with the owners however and took the dog. His name is Midnight and he was emaciated, stinky, and very fearful. If you touched him he growled, if he got up on the couch you couldn't push him off he growled, close to his bones, food, growled, putting the collar on him, growl, and he peed everywhere, pooed, stealing food, having no bounderies, humping my friends (he is about 6 feet tall when standing on his hind legs), lungin on cars, peoples, bikes, when through a door, fence or on the lead.. When I took him to the vet we used tranqs, double muzzles and was three people holding him while the fourth took all the tests neccessary to rule out diseases to his weight.

Now, he still do some lunging, but it happens more rarely, his average contact with me on lead and basic obedience is getting better, he can now walk up to people on lead and say hi normally, I can take his food, and have my hand in his bowl when he's eating. He is good with people who come in, and behaves somewhat normal with me all and all he is a good guy, just fearful and if he don't get to check it out he feels offense is the best defense and lunge. However he can not be adopted out, if anyone else has the lead, he reverts to bascially cero and also starts biting and now he is about 120-130 lbs. So I am right now saving money to send him to a sanctuary but that is 3000 so it will be a while more. I took him in only as a foster to save his life, the owner was just about to dump him in a kill shelter when I called cause it was two days left til she moved.

And I also have a little bearded dragon by the name Hercules :D

More about me is, Im 28, obsessive on dogs and behaviors, I live and breathe dogs, been dealing with rehabing and foster parent for the last 9 years. I started in the end of dominance, alpha rolling etc when I was 19, when I was about 21 I learned about positive reinforcement and I saw the change I got in dogs and it never changed eversince. That is why I am so against the hard core dominance I know how dogs are prior and after and how the different methods works.

I fish, hike, read, knitt, play some videogames when it allows.
Mostly I go up, I take my dogs out, play some with them, give them food, eat breakfast, shower, go to work, come home, take them for a good 1,5 hour walk, do some basic obedience training, feed them, feed me, clean, laundry, go to bed and over again... the life of being a grown up..

Nice to meeting you all!
The problem is in the other end of the leash!
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

I'm Wendy, a housewife in Stayton Oregon USA. I have two children and one husband; they are my full time job, and I'm a hobby animal trainer. We have four dogs, 5 cats, a betta fish, one hen and 2 parakeets.

Sunnie a 2 year old Yellow Labrador, came to our home in April of this year-- a private rehoming because her original family also had another senior dog that is/was in poor health and Sunnie was too high energy for them and their schedules with the additional burden of their other dog's medical needs. She has become my husband's dog, despite his best efforts-- she's stolen his heart.

Greta a Great Dane who is now 10 years old (but often mistaken for being half her age) who came to us 9 years ago when she was about 18 months old from a Great Dane rescue. We are her 4th family and her last, because I'd rather eat a box of broken glass than go a day without her. She was declared by one rescue foster home as "unadoptable" and we were asked to take her in.

Georgia and Sydney are 18 month old Great Danes who are also private "rehomings" (this earns the quotation marks because their original owners were future BYBs that hit on hard times and could not find a stud-- fortunately, they accepted $100 a dog) that have lived with us for a month now. They had lived pretty much their entire lives tied outside houses or in a garage sleeping in little filthy pens. Georgia has made a full turn around, and she has learned that she's not going to be punished or yelled at-- Sydney needs more time and training to get to that point, but she's making steady progress.

Elle, who is the chicken (Wyandot), I've had since she was a 3 day old chick 3 years ago. I know it's a little odd to have a pet chicken, but she is a very nice chicken. She is a trained pet chicken, and she is not a dinner chicken.

The cats are Ripley, Simba, George, Sumi-e, Yuuki, and Freya. They each have a story but I'm trying to not write a novel.

The betta fish is my daughter's (she's 5 and wanted a hamster, but because at 5 I think the fish is more inline with her ability to be responsible) the fish's name is Freda Betta.

The parakeets are my son's, Sugar and Spiro. He's had them for the past 4 almost 5 years. Sugar is an albino female (luckily not an egg layer) and Spiro is a colorful little male, both are hand tame and my son has Spiro saying a few words.