Hi from DC

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DogsRfun

Hi from DC

Post by DogsRfun »

Taking politics less seriously and dogs more seriously in my old age. So I'm a big fan of Victoria and have worked up to watching her 3-6 times a week lately.

Not sure if this funny photo/avatar of my dog at night will show, so testing. She's a very excitable 3 year old girl who the shelter thought they'd have trouble placing. I work at home so can let her out a lot, walk her and play with her, though she does tire me out. She's calmed down a lot since I got her in Dec 2009 and she was hyper manic. (Partially so happy to be out of the 4 x 6 cell she'd been living in for six months at the Animal Rescue shelter. She's a gorgeous hound shepherd mix, but it was obvious she was high strung.

I started feeding her chicken and rice as her staple instead of Science Diet she was used to. Plus an organic dry food for treats. And that seems to have helped. However, still have to feed her far too many "training cookies" to get her stubborn little butt moving when she doesn't want to move it. One of several issues will discuss in forums. Thanks for being here!
Noobs

Re: Hi from DC

Post by Noobs »

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here.

I know you said this would be discussed in forums, but an idea would be to use the chicken for training instead of giving it as meals in bowls, that way she's not getting extra calories from training biscuits. (And she will probably pay much closer attention to you if you have chicken instead of dry biscuits!) My dog never eats out of bowls anymore. It's either Kongs, out of treat toys, training indoors or on walks. :)
mustlovdoggs

Re: Hi from DC

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Welcome Dogsrfun, Hope you post pics in photos of your pets
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.