Three dopey mutts and one crazy owner

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Moobear

Three dopey mutts and one crazy owner

Post by Moobear »

Hi all

Just joined along with Schmoo a Yorkie X aged 2, Scamper a JR aged 2 and Katie, Schmoos younger sister Katie - 2 in March. The house in in total bedlam as though l had trained GSD in the past ( RIP babies ) - l now have 3 dogs that can't even give a paw, wont walk on a lead properly, bark incessantly and jump over guests, leap over the sofas and generally if the weather is not too their likeing wee & poo in the house, sometimes eating it too. :evil: Someone told me that terriers are like cats and do what they want :twisted: . Iam beginning to beleve it :(

I have been to my shame a follower of CM but l have got no where. To be fair l will admit to being a bit of a Scarlett O'hara type - "Tomorrow is another day "and so not consistent with my training. I do now believe that positive reinforcement is the way to go and so have recorded a few of VS showes to watch.

Best Wishes xxx Moo and the Mutts :)
Mattie

Re: Three dopey mutts and one crazy owner

Post by Mattie »

Moobear wrote:Hi all

Just joined along with Schmoo a Yorkie X aged 2, Scamper a JR aged 2 and Katie, Schmoos younger sister Katie - 2 in March. The house in in total bedlam as though l had trained GSD in the past ( RIP babies ) - l now have 3 dogs that can't even give a paw, wont walk on a lead properly, bark incessantly and jump over guests, leap over the sofas and generally if the weather is not too their likeing wee & poo in the house, sometimes eating it too. :evil: Someone told me that terriers are like cats and do what they want :twisted: . Iam beginning to beleve it :(
Terriorists, I just love them, I have to use my brain to teach them what I want them to do and to keep them wanting to obey me, not always an easy task. :lol: GSDs were originally bred to obey us, terriers to think for themselves, they had to or be killed. Clicker training often works well with any dog no matter what the breed is, there is a very good sticky thread on how to clicker train.
I have been to my shame a follower of CM but l have got no where. To be fair l will admit to being a bit of a Scarlett O'hara type - "Tomorrow is another day "and so not consistent with my training. I do now believe that positive reinforcement is the way to go and so have recorded a few of VS showes to watch.
Unlike GSDs and many other breeds, if you use methods like CM uses all the will do is come back at you, with their teeth, so these methods won't work. Many dogs will shut down with these methods, Terriers will often fight back, followers of his methods then up the punishment so the do ups the biting.

The best trainers are consistant, you have to be very consistant or your dogs will get mixed messages so decide if you are going to continue and be consistant.

Many dogs don't like going outside when the weather is bad, I put a coat on mine and take them out to make sure they go and not stand by the door, it is the only way to be sure.

Terriorists are wonderful dogs when trained, well worth all the effort.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Moobear

Post by Moobear »

Thanks Mattie - l love " terrorists" - it suits them to a T :lol:
Yes l think l have been spoiled by my GSDs as they seemed to learn really fast and also to be honest you don't have to bend down with them. If you had seen me at a training class with one of the little ones trying to do the DOWN. My back was in agony - so then the instructor showed me a way that put my knees in agony. I was in a right state by the time l left. :roll:

I find that my Jack Russell is the one that especially needs mental stimulation. When l have walked him, he gets a second wind and will not leave me alone - just wants to play with a ball, non stop.

I would say that all 3 each have an obsession, Schmoo gets his lad out far too often despite being castrated. Scamper is playing with balls, he can go for hours doing the same thing and Katie is an obsessive licker, not sure if she feels weak amongst the 2 stronger boys, but she can't get enough of getting into familys faces which is very irritating.

I hope to find a lot out for each dogs needs and also myself. I am the one in control and l need to change things around here.

Moobear

Post by Moobear »

Just watched a few days of back to back Victoria and l think l have identified the problems (hopefully) to the Terrorist problem. I really do believe that Katie Pup is an incredibly anxious dog :shock: Shaking, obsessive licking, submission to the boys :cry: Mind you everynow and then she will have a growl and go for them, especially if she is with me. Not sure where the courage comes from or if it is stupididty on her part.

Scamper and Schmu seems to take it in turns to be aggressive with each other. It can get nasty but eventually one backs down from the other. I did try to distract both dogs from going at each other - 9/10 it is all growl and teeth but doesn't escalate but at least once a week they have a real set too. :evil:

I suppose my question is how do l give Katie confidence without showing favouritism and how is the best way to difuse the boys from their snarling match? Also l think Katie is the one that messes in the house during the night. Sometimes we see the evidence and sometimes the stain as she will have eaten it. She only has to last about 8 hours which l should think she should be able to do. They are out again first thing but saying that if she doesn't get a chance to get out mid morning she doesn't bother about doing it in the house which is really annoying. :evil:

Can anyone help me with these 3 issues. :?: