New to the Community

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MarleysMommy

New to the Community

Post by MarleysMommy »

Hi. I'm Karin and I'm new here. I have a 4 year old Queensland Heeler who is my absolute world. My Marley Girl is absolutely precious and I love her more than I love any person, to be honest.

My girl had a real tough start to life as I found her in the trash can when she was only approx 4 weeks old. It was a cold and wet night in March and the trash was scheduled to get picked up the next morning. It may sound like I saved her life, but really, she saved me that night.

Anyways, we spend every minute a of just about every day together. I rarely leave the house without her. We love going on long walks multiple times a day...every day. I did have to hire a behaviorist this last summer because Marley's anxieties and fears became paralyzing and I had to help her. She is very reactive when out on walks. She never growls or lunges and rarely ever barks. She is the 'flight' type in 'fight or flight'. Anything can trigger her from a little leaf blowing by to a skateboarder coming up on us. It breaks my heart to see her struggle but I have to tell you, she is my hero and my inspiration. Marley is well aware of the fact that every time we leave the house she will somehow be triggered. But instead of refusing to go outside, she willingly let's me put on her harness and leash and walks outside with her head held high ready to take on whatever the world is gonna dish out to her. She is way braver than I am.

Anyways, I hope to meet some people who also have ACD's or other breeds that have severe anxieties and fears so that I might be able to gain some support and encouragement and advice.
JudyN

Re: New to the Community

Post by JudyN »

Welcome :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009