Anxiety aggression

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Louis

Anxiety aggression

Post by Louis »

Hi there
I am in need of some advice on my new boy Louis. Louis is a show cocker spaniel who is nearly 3 years old. He is from a rescue centre for Springers and cockers and we got him on 1st October 2016.
I decided to get another dog as my other two, 14 year old springer and 10 year old Lurcher are getting on and I couldn't bear the thought of a gap between.
Louis came from a broken home and was kennelled. He was advertised as being deaf, submissive and loved to travel in the car. Actually none of the above were true. Although Louis is a gorgeous boy, he is completely full of anxiety which we are working on. He is food aggressive with the other dogs but I have overcome this by feeding them all separately. He bullies our old lady Lurcher and has a go at her if she enters his space and lastly but probably the hardest this is louis goes mad when someone leaves the house. He is fine if I go but almost chases my husband and grown up son out. He barks aggressively at them. I have been putting him on a lead and walking out with them which works well but isn't always convenient. I have put Louis on rescue remedy which has helped a lot, however I really need help with tips on how to sort this behaviour out. I can't leave treats for him as he will fight with the other dogs. We all love him dearly but need to work with him on his anxiety. Louis is walked twice a day and we have taken some tips from a behaviourist. We are also about to move to a farm where Louis can run everyday (we are currently in a town). However the farm is surrounded by horses so Louis also needs some training with that. Any advice gratefully received.
Suzette

Re: Anxiety aggression

Post by Suzette »

Hi Louis,
If you move your post to Dog Training Advice, you will also get a response from one of our resident experts. :)
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11