Hello everyone

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mrsdno

Hello everyone

Post by mrsdno »

Hi everyone

I have been recommended joining this forum as I need a little help with my dog (he in 57)

She is 6 years old. We have had her from being 8 months old. We got her from a rescue where she had been in kennels from 12 weeks old.

She is very dog aggressive. We were told by one behaviourist to get her obsessed with a toy and when we go out and see a dog then get her to play with the toy. HOWEVER she is obsessed in the house but as soon as u put her lead on and go to the door she don't want to know it. We live in a place where there are a lot of dogs that are usually walked off the lead which Is a huge problem.
I have thought about taking her to dog training but I think this will stress me and her out to be honest. Can anybody recommend anything I could try?

Tia xx
JudyN

Re: Hello everyone

Post by JudyN »

Welcome to the forum :D I'm guessing 'he in 57' is 'heinz57?' :lol:

For now, you need to walk him places where he won't meet other dogs - or at least, as few as possible. This may mean walking him at inconvenient times, as well. The aim is to get his stress levels right down. At the moment, his stress level is being 'topped up' every day and it takes a long time for the stress to dissipate. More about stress in dogs here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10923

Then you need to work on finding a distance from another dog at which he's comfortable - this might even be with the other dog almost out of eyeshot - and rewarding him, so he pairs 'dog a long way away' with something positive (this could be food or a game). Then you gradually (we're talking weeks & months, maybe more) decrease the distance from him to other dogs, all the while keeping him in his comfort zone - if he won't take a treat or ball, you've gone too fast.

Have a look at Jacksdad's posts - there's links to several of his in the first post in this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11503 but later threads will be useful too, e.g. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21621&p=149727

Hope that helps!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Re: Hello everyone

Post by JudyN »

Oh, also - I've moved your post to the training section, where more people will see it. Hope that's OK.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009