HI you all new to forum

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kdalmen

HI you all new to forum

Post by kdalmen »

Hi i'am Kerry from twin cities area of mn. USA I am an avid upland game hunter, and have had 2 golden retreivers, 2 brittanys, 1 germain wirehair. and on my 3rd. britt. I have currently a 2 1/2 yr old brittany pointer (intact male) Purchased sept. 7th '15. a supposedly a started dog, He hunts well, but has little or no obedients training. It appers that he has been or attempted to be forced trained. By the way his name is Dubbs. Sooo Dubbs has some issues, He has trust issues, some time he comes to call sometimes not? We are giving him lot of love and attention.Which has helped but, at times he get scared and runs back and forth not sure of what to do? we are going to continue to gently work on his sychy.

It's Good to be here

Kerry
JudyN

Re: HI you all new to forum

Post by JudyN »

Welcome to the forum Kerry :D I've just been looking at pictures of Brittany pointers - what beautiful dogs!

I'm sure some members will be able to give you ideas which will help Dubbs. The best thing is to post in the training section, giving the information you've given already plus a full run-down of his daily routine, and describe exactly the areas you'd like to work on - such as how he demonstrates lack of trust and what you would like him to do.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Re: HI you all new to forum

Post by Fundog »

Hi Kerry. I have gundogs two, though I've never actually taken them out hunting with a gun since they are both terribly gun shy. We just "hunt" without a gun, which they enjoy immensely. I have a Springer Spaniel and an English Setter (my avatar). My English Setter is much like your Dubbs-- a rescue, apparently had been "started," I suspect with harsh methods, then abandoned and left to starve. She too came with many problems, stemming from insecurity, and was even a car chaser!

Like was already said, do come and post on the training section and we may be able to offer you some help. There is another on here with gundogs (springer spaniels), and Nettle has hunting dogs (terriers and lurchers), though there aren't any others that I know of who have actually hunted upland game with their dogs.

I must say, however, that is is such a breath of fresh air to see a gundog hunter come onto a positive forum looking for kind methods of training and rehabilitating gundogs! This is definitely rare. :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.