Hi - student

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Hannahlb

Hi - student

Post by Hannahlb »

Hi all

I wanted to introduce myself in the hope I can start to build a network and gain knowledge about positive methods.

I completed an introduction to canine behaviour at my local agriculture college Plumpton which compelled me to further study with the British College of Canine Studies. I am 1 unit away from completing the course and am starting to work on practical cases. I also work two days a week at a local doggy day care as well as dog walking for Dogs' Trust (as a volunteer).

I am hyper aware that I have a responsibility towards any dog and owner I advise and that my theoretical training can only get me so far. I regularly read the great suggestions for behaviour work on this forum and would really love to build a network of contacts through whom I could check my facts and generally enter in to dialogue about best approaches and solutions.

I found it really difficult to find courses that would teach positive methods that I could also fit around my day job and am trying my best to supplement my learning with practical work (I am honest with owners about where I am in my development). Unfortunately I could not afford to study at university and the BCCS course seemed a good option for distance learning. I would be really grateful for any positive advice about continuous development and any support from forum members as I begin to move out of the learning phase to the 'doing' phase.

I appreciate that my path to this work may be less orthodox than others but it's a subject I am passionate about and I would love to be able to work within this field. I sincerely hope you consider this a responsible request and would be keen to hear from anyone.

Thanks for reading
Hannah
emmabeth

Re: Hi - student

Post by emmabeth »

Hello (only just seen this!),

If you click on my link you can find your way to my FB biz page, or message me some real life contact details and I will put you in touch with other people (a lot of it will be facebook based so be prepared for that!).

I would highly recommend the Institute of Modern Dog Trainers courses, whether you decide to take that route to qualification or not, the courses are good AND positive and can really help give you tht practical experience.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Hannahlb

Re: Hi - student

Post by Hannahlb »

Thanks Emmabeth :) I'll drop you a line of Facebook