Hi all -Uk member here

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

craigomacho

Hi all -Uk member here

Post by craigomacho »

Hi,

I have just signed up.

Me and my other half have a 12month old border collie called Milo. He is doing well with his training and learning but still has some way to go!! We want to be able to let him off lead (currently has a long lead we use on the park) as he only tends to stick by us when he has a ball or frisby to chase and bring back. We are looking for ways to encourage him to come back when off lead and to also get his attention as he will focus on something else and ignore us (e.g when he sees another dog etc).

Any ideas are more than welcome.

We also want to get him into agility classes but understand that he needs to be more obedient off lead first before we can take him (as when he sees another dog he just wants to play with them and ignore us)

Anyway i best go as i am starting to witter on.
CarolineLovesDogs

Re: Hi all -Uk member here

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

Hi!
I am sure we have other posts on here about recall but I have a few quick tips. One, is that you have to have EXTREMELY reinforcing rewards when the dogs comes to you. Great treats, excited praise and petting the dog enjoys, maybe a bit of fun play, and then continuing on with the walk. Another thing is, don't call the dog unless you know Milo will respond. Combining both of these tips- wait until you feel confident your dog will come to you when called in a happy voice and then after he has started coming towards you, run in the other direction so he can chase you. When he gets to you, whip out his favorite toy from a bag or concealed in your jacket, whatever, as a big fun reward for choosing to come to you.