First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MamaTonks

Post by MamaTonks »

Hello

I'm a newer first time dog owner. We rescued a puppy in in late March 2013 she was 6 weeks or so old found abandoned with her littler and our fiend was caring for the littler finding good homes for all but the 2 dogs she kept.
Samoa aka Momo is a 10.5 month old fixed black lab/pit mix. She is amazing with the kids (12,10 and 3). She knows basic commands: sit, no pull, drop it, leave it,come (in the house) but selectively follows commands. She typically only follows my commands but I'd like her to follow commands from the older children as well. They can't walk her with out me or take her out side to play. They can take her potty but she pulls them. She does love children's toys and will remove them from their bins event though she has her own toys. She does love to steal food of the counter and distracted children's plates. She is completely crate trained and has been for quite some time. Right now she is not getting daily walks due to the cold weather but she gets 30min of indoor run around time (we have a completely open layout downstairs). I still use treat rewards with her but she could care less if she gets praise or treat. So that is Samoa she is over all a great dog and visitors often comment on how well behaved she is, event if I don't think she is some of the time.
JudyN

Re: Newbie

Post by JudyN »

Ooh, she's lovely :D

Can I ask what country/area you are in? I'd have thought that a good walk outside every day would benefit her a lot, regardless of the temperature. But I'm in the UK so don't have experience of really bitterly cold areas.

I have a counter surfer too, and the only real solution is to keep all food (even dirty plates) out of reach. He knows not to take food when I'm there (though isn't beyond a grab and dash when he sees the chance) but nothing is safe if I'm not :lol:

For the other issues you'd like to work on, do repost in the training section and I'm sure you'll get some great advice!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009