Hey :)

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sbm513

Hey :)

Post by sbm513 »

Hi everyone, my name is Stephanie, Steph for short and I'm 19 years old. You could say that I've grown on a farm my whole life, because my family (which is quite big!) has pretty much owned every kind of animal out there, including many dog breeds. I moved away from home to live with my b/f, about a half a year ago and I'm beginning to realize how lonely and empty I feel without a four legged friend. I bought a hamster and while he's a great little pet, he doesn't quite cut it. I've been talking about it a lot with my b/f and he thinks that it would be great, but wants to wait until next year while we still get settled.

Having a lot of experience with many dog breeds is making it difficult for me to choose a breed. My last dog was a small mix, and unfortunately I had to put the poor boy down during this later years in life a couple years ago. :( My b/f has only owned one dog his whole life, therefore doesn't have much knowledge of dog ownership. He believes that all dogs should behave a certain way, etc. Also, the only way I'm going to be able to get this dog is if I get a puppy from a responsible and respectable breeder, he doesn't want a mix or older dog from a shelter/rescue.

I don't want to rush into anything, but I'd like to figure out which breed I want so I can start talking to breeders later this year so I can find the perfect puppy for my b/f and I. I used to watch Victoria Stilwell's t.v. show "It's Me or the Dog" whenever I could, and loved how she worked with the dogs. I'm a huge fan, and used her training methods on dogs in the past, loving the outcomes.

I feel like a kid would on Christmas night, waiting for the morning to open all their presents! So excited that my b/f agreed and can't wait to meet new people and maybe make some friends, while I search for that perfect dog. :)
Ari_RR

Re: Hey :)

Post by Ari_RR »

Coooool!
Go by elimination... hate drooling, can't stand hair all over the place, b/f doesn't like toy dogs, a giant dog won't fit in the car, etc etc... then you will have a reasonably small list of remaining breeds to pick from.
sbm513

Post by sbm513 »

Ari_RR wrote:Coooool!
Go by elimination... hate drooling, can't stand hair all over the place, b/f doesn't like toy dogs, a giant dog won't fit in the car, etc etc... then you will have a reasonably small list of remaining breeds to pick from.
Thanks, I'm going to start making that list. It's hard, because I like a lot of breeds, but I also have to be honest with myself about my situation and which dog would fit our life right now. For example, I'd love to own an American Pit Bull Terrier and a German Shepherd Dog one day, but I don't think now is the right time. Lots of thinking to do... :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

You might want to look at what breeders are in your area, as well. If you set your heart on one particular breed and find that you're not 100% sure of the only breeder in your area, you may make a bad choice. Better to have a second-choice breed from a breeder who produces pups with excellent health & temperament :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
sbm513

Post by sbm513 »

JudyN wrote:You might want to look at what breeders are in your area, as well. If you set your heart on one particular breed and find that you're not 100% sure of the only breeder in your area, you may make a bad choice. Better to have a second-choice breed from a breeder who produces pups with excellent health & temperament :D
That's def something I'll check into. I just want to narrow down my breed list to a couple, before I start looking at breeders. I'm also trying to keep my excitement on the down low, or else my b/f will think I'm crazy or something. I just made a post in the breed section of this forum, looking for some help with my list. I think I narrowed it down to like 7 or something, but I'm very open to other's opinions.