Hello everyone

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kathyb2007

Hello everyone

Post by kathyb2007 »

Hi I am a first time user of this forum.
I live in norfolk united kingdom.
I have studied and advanced diploma in canine psychology and a diploma in parrot behaviour. I keep two congo greys and a rescue chihuhua. I have had dogs and birds all my life.
I started in 1993 helping out at a local kennels and dog groomers. Then volunteered at a dog training class. I also worked at a vets as animal vet nurse assistant.
While i worked there for many years until I moved to norfolk 4 years ago. I noticed allot of people coming along with behaviour problems with their dogs and parrots.
So I took it upon my self some years ago to study the above courses to help the animals and help the people.
Sadly because of my dyslexia and Aspergis I found it hard to do the academia. It did not stop me doing what I enjoy so much and passing it .I am in the process of doing a book to show that people with aspergis can lead a very normal life just like evey body else. It will talk of the challenges ect. I currently today help a local charity with canine problems and my friend and I have started a facebook group for troubled parrot owners too. I have been shocked at at how many parrot owners are so desperate for help.
I do it all voluntary and really enjoy it allot. I totally agree with Victoria stillwell s positive training methods. I use the clicker my self for both parrots and dogs. I look at working with their emotions and instincts and the fact they are also individuals. I educate people the best i can on learning dogs body language and signals, the same with parrots. i only hold diplomas as stated above. I was told by a trainer and a vet that i have and ability and should harness it. so the way i see it although i cant see peoples emotions at all I can with these species. i admit i am always keeping up to date an attend seminars to keep up with what's out there. When I see a person with their dog I ask them to narrate to me how they feel and I explaine to them because of my difficulty it helps me to work with them. i was moved by how people are happy to understand that and enjoy working with me. Well thats me. Regards :wink:
JudyN

Re: Hello everyone

Post by JudyN »

Welcome to the forum! I think it's great that you haven't let your dyslexia and Asperger's hold you back and have realised that the latter can actually work to your advantage when working with animals
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
kathyb2007

Re: Hello everyone

Post by kathyb2007 »

Thankyou Judy N that is nice :)