Introduce, and please help!

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bingo_haloween

Introduce, and please help!

Post by bingo_haloween »

Hi from Bingo, a rescue puppy from the shelter of North Broward County. We got him when he was 3 months. He is turning 6 months this 31st.

He was a stubborn puppy to begin with, but super friendly. We are training him up stop jumping at people, pulling at leash and rolling in the mud. He is good with obeying basic commands and he's affectionate. He's completed the AKC star puppy program.

However, he gave us a nasty surprise a couple of weeks back. He growled and lunged at my husband while eating. Since then, husband started feeding him by hand. Then, he was chewing a bully stick and growled at me/husband. We then taught him to "drop" it and he now drops the bone/ kong/toy when commanded but continues to cringe/growl if we try to touch him while the food is near him.

Then, husband was petting him one evening, and he growled and lunged suddenly. No provocation, no food around. We left him alone.

Last week, he was eating a carrot and I asked him to drop it. He did. I asked him to touch my hand. He did. Then I tried to pet his head - which I've done before without trouble - and his ears went back, eye whites showed and he growled. I took my hand away, asked to shake paw ( he did ) then asked to touch my hand ( he did) but head touch = growl, anxious, lip smacking, eye whites.

Now, he eats ok if I am walking around him while he eats, but growls when touched during eating. He wont eat in peace if my husband is around, growling and lunging. He will drop a low-value treat for "drop" and let me pat him, but with a stuffed kong or a bully stick, he growls and whines almost apologetically if I touch his paw or body, or bring my hand hear his head.

Important to mention that after growling at husband, his ears stay flat, and he hides behind me. Today, after growling at me, he came and sat on my feet. We are not touching him unless he invites us, nor engaging in a lot of affection. He walks several times a day, and goes into his crate to sleep. He's cringing every time i raise my hand to pet his head.

Can we fix this, or just leave him alone when he eats?
JudyN

Re: Introduce, and please help!

Post by JudyN »

bingo_haloween wrote:Can we fix this, or just leave him alone when he eats?
Yes, but the first (and most important) step towards fixing this is to leave him alone when he eats!

Could you repost in the dog training advice section, please? Then your post will be seen by more people who will be able to help. It would also help if you could let us know how you've been training him generally, and also give a run-down of his daily routine, including walks, play, exercise, time left alone, etc. and what dog food you give him.

In the meantime, leave him to eat in peace and don't ask him to drop any food he has.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009