Hello from East Sussex

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Buzby

Hello from East Sussex

Post by Buzby »

Hi, my name's Bonnie and I'm new to the forum.

I work on an Open Farm and recently became 'mum' to a lamb (Dudley) whose real mum was unable to look after him. I've decided to begin clicker training him.

I've never used clicker training before so I expect it will be a steep but enjoyable learning curve for us both! I began introducing Dudley to the idea on Sunday and have worked for just about 15 minutes a day since then. Today we achieved having him put his front feet up on a chair which I think is pretty good for a 4 week old lamb and a clicker newbie :)

I'm videoing our training whenever I can (largely because Dudley has his own facebook page and I like to share his adventures with his followers) and it's really helpful watching it back as I see things I should/should not have done.

I'm sure we'll hit lots of bumps along the way and have lots of questions for you all :)
JudyN

Re: Hello from East Sussex

Post by JudyN »

Oh bless him, I've just found him on FaceBook :D Welcome to the forum! How far are you thinking of taking his training? It'll be interesting to see what a sheep will be capable of!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Buzby

Re: Hello from East Sussex

Post by Buzby »

I don't have a set plan in mind, because he imprinted on me as 'mum' he wants to spend time with me so I just thought it would be good to make our one-on-one time productive and fun :)
He's only 4 weeks old so I keep our sessions short as his attention wanders easily. I envision us doing basic 'tricks' stepping onto a bale, thru a hoop, over small jumps etc but really, who knows what we will do. Sheep are highly intelligent and Dudley is a very calm, laid back little chap which helps, I suspect he'll get the hang of it all much quicker than me :lol: