Me and my dog

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sartsu

Me and my dog

Post by Sartsu »

Hi everybody,
We are a family of 5: me mom 46, my husband 52, boys 18 and 12 and a daughter 16 plus 2 cats and a female Novascotiaretriever 6yrs.
Our 6y old Novascotiaretriever is agressive towards our two cats(older than her) and also to our boys(13 and 18). He growls, lounges and sometimes even tries to bite. He getst to go out 3 times a day for at least for half an hour at a time and has basic obedience training. What to do? Im thinking of giving him away, because Im stressed of always being on my toes because of her...
She gets exercise three times a day, at least half an hour every time. Shes had basic obedience training. Im the one who she obeys the best, my husband lets her get to bed or on the sofa with us...
What to do, please help me! :?: :?:
Ari_RR

Re: Me and my dog

Post by Ari_RR »

Hey, sounds like a great family, with kids and cats and a dog!

I would post this under Dog Training Advice section, and i would be also curious to know what exactly happens preceding her growling and going after the human boys. Best is to analyze what's happening, find the triggers and root cause, then there will be something concrete and specific to address.

Cats - my 2 cents is to make sure cats always have a safe place to escape to if they find themselves too close to the dog.

Being allowed on the bed/sofa - nothing is wrong with that in my books. My monster boy is allowed everywhere.

Cheers