NEW

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

diannemc

NEW

Post by diannemc »

I am from Mississippi...We have a Cocker Spaniel that is 5 months old...I am here because I am in need of help...He has become agressive to other people....and dogs..We had him neutered a few weeks ago hoping it would help..hasn't. I want to get a hold of this behavior before it gets worse.. He also bit at my daugher when she tried to take a chew bone away cause there was other dogs around and thought they were going to get it...He is not use to being around other dogs. He is at home with me all day...I have seen some food aggression but mostly it is with people food...Where do I start! We need help while he is young..Thanks!
Ari_RR

Re: NEW

Post by Ari_RR »

Hi!
Post this under "Dog Training Advice" - you will get more responses there..
He is still very much a developing puppy, going through various stages, in particular through various stages of fear.

In the meantime - his "aggression" is probably not aggression at all. If someone removes his toy or food that he thinks is his, he reacts negatively, but this is not aggression. This is provoked reaction. So, until you understand what drives him to reacting this way, and figure out a plan on how to boost his confidence and deal with issues - until then don't put him in the situations that he cannot handle. If he reacts to other dogs - avoid other dogs for a little while. If he reacts to people - avoid people. He reacts to toys being taken away - don't take toys away. And so on.

Not for a long time, just to get him to the point where he doesn't feel threatened by dogs and humans. And that will be the starting point to move forward. How to move forward - you will get plenty of good advice, but please post this under "Dog Training Advice" section of the forum, that's a more active part.

It's not surprising that neutering didn't help. It might have even made things worse, but what's done is done, you can't undo this one.

Cheers!
diannemc

Re: NEW

Post by diannemc »

Thanks I posted it under training advice...