Hello from Indiana

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dallas011

Hello from Indiana

Post by dallas011 »

My name is Jill. I'm 36 years old and have been training and showing purebred dogs since I was 11. I've been active in Obedience, Agility, Ski-joring, Search & Rescue, K9 training, and Confirmation. I just wanted to post about what an impact one of the recent It's Me or the dog New York episodes made on my husband. We have 4 dogs, 2 German Shepherds, a Shih tzu, and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi (plus 2 young sons - 5 and 7). Our house can get loud and chaotic but it's never out of control. On a recent IMOTD NY episode called He needs to go, about a young couple and their rescue dogs, my husband got to see what our house is NOT like. That household had no Leader/Alpha in either person in that house and the dogs were working out themselves who was going to be in charge, barking constantly, fighting, and riddled with anxiety. The dogs in our house bark to announce someone is at the door, when one of us greet whomever is there, the barking stops. All the dogs have been allowed to bark at the door, it's part of their job, but I'd never be able to live in a house with constant barking.I want the dogs to let me know someone is there but after a few seconds of barking that's enough. I would never subject my husband or sons to constant barking. Until that episode I tried repeatedly to get my husband to understand why I don't tell the dogs "No" when they are barking at the door, that I want them to let me know someone is there, not get yelled at every time someone knocks and they bark at the door.
All of the dogs play together nicely and play gently with my sons. I don't let them use each other or the kids as chew toys or allow them to become hostile with each other. If one of them is having a bad day, they can hang out in their crate for a while while everyone else plays. What my husband got to see was all the time I put into the dogs (especially when they are puppies), training, playing, socializing, etc. really does mean something to make them into good canine citizens, good companions and enjoyable animals to be around.
dontpugme

Re: Hello from Indiana

Post by dontpugme »

HI and welcome to the forum! :D
--dontpugme
wvvdiup1

Re: Hello from Indiana

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello Jill and welcome to the forum! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown