new user needing some advice

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

tacey68_1

new user needing some advice

Post by tacey68_1 »

Hi, have recently adopted an 11 month old boxer cross from a rescue centre. On the whole he is settling in well apart from one thing - he keeps going to the toilet in the house. He is taken for 2 good walks a day and with the weather being OK the door has been open so he has constant access to the garden, but comes in for the toilet. Any ideas on how to get him out of this habit will be most greatly appreciated. Thanks
Suzette

Re: new user needing some advice

Post by Suzette »

Here's a pinned article on this subject for you to look through. It will help a lot. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125

But the main thing is to go outside with your dog, not let him come and go on his own. That doesn't tell him much. When you go out with him, it gives you the opportunity to praise him for going where you want him to. When he comes and goes on his own, he has no direction from you and makes his own choices. So I would suggest closing the door so he can only go out when you take him. And right now I'd take him out every hour or so, that way he's far less liekly to make a mistake in the house. Praise and treat every time he potties outside. When he does make mistakes in the house (which he no doubt will at first) just take him outside calmly (no yelling, no rubbing noses in the 'mistake') then clean up while he is out there.

I have used this method successfuly with my puppy and many others here have as well. Good luck! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome to the forums, tacey68_1! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Hi Tacey and welcome aboard the forums! :D
dontpugme