Hi from England :) Baby whippets anyone?

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Raichyrae

Hi from England :) Baby whippets anyone?

Post by Raichyrae »

Hello everyone, I am Rachel, new 'mum' to Gelert, an 11 week old whippet and 4 human children. I am brand new to pups, having previously had a rescue greyhound who was the easiest dog ever...sadly we lost her in 2006 and it's taken me this long to get another dog. I'm having all the usual puppy issues I suppose and feeling overwhelmed as the niggles changes day by day. I am proud of the fact that he is toilet trained, will sit and is getting good at impulse control but still jumps on the smaller children, mouths hands (and noses) and has begun to growl when foisted off the couch (he was alllowed on till he began to growl at the children when they attempted to move him so they could sit down...end of couch privileges) I love Victoria's TV show and also bought her book in preparation but I'm probably doing almost everything wrong and though I'm feeling like asking a million questions, will trawl through the topics first to see if my queries have been answered already. Feel free to say 'hi' and as soon as I've worked out how to, I will post some pictures of my (frankly gorgeous) pup! Thanks for reading xxx
Suzette

Re: Hi from England :) Baby whippets anyone?

Post by Suzette »

Hi, welcome aboard! :D Your Gelert sounds precious. I can't wait to see some pics! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Welcome :D It sounds like you're doing most things right - house training a puppy with four children to keep an eye on must be quite a challenge!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Raichyrae

Post by Raichyrae »

Thanks Suzette and Judy thanks so much for the welcome, I can't work out where to post photos yet as I haven't had a lot of computer time today either. He's a blue fawn and is sooo silvery pale, people think he's a small, sharp nosed lab! Oh, and because he has very pale eyes, one lady asked if he was a weimaraner.
I probably don't really cope with either the dog or the kids lol, I'm having to train them all at the same time....well, sort of, I have a 15 year old son who is very sensible with the dog, a 14 year old son who is on the autism spectrum and is inclined to get hyper (which the pup obviously adores) and 2 small girls, one aged 8 who enjoys doing impulse control training with him and a 4 year old who is amazingly assertive for such a little kid. I have found some pay off already for the hectic set up...the children haven't left a toy out of place since we got him, they watch TV a lot less and we're all up early!!!! Looking forward to spending time on here! x
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)
--dontpugme
Raichyrae

Post by Raichyrae »

Hi, Don'tpugme and thanks for the welcome. I have posted a picture of Gelert on the photo thread, go havea look if you like x :)
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome to the forums! :D Sorry I don't have any "baby whippets", but I do have a beautiful Akita! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Welcome aboard! :D