Hello :)

First-time users can introduce themselves to the Positively community here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Secret Someone

Hello :)

Post by Secret Someone »

Hey everyone,

I'm so pleased to have found this forum! I've been using Victoria's techniques for several years - since I first saw It's Me or the Dog. I've researched for most of this time and have been certain that this would be the right way to train my dog when the time is right. When I was living with my parents I used the techniques with my dog, Lucy, who reacted amazingly well. She's so intelligent, and enjoys training so much, but unfortunately my parents have been too lazy to train her themselves. They're not having 'issues' with her so don't see the point. It makes me incredibly sad.

My girlfriend (who registered here yesterday as Soapy) and I are getting a border collie puppy in around five months (we decided that we need to take getting a puppy just as seriously as having a baby, which for us means many months preparing... Making sure we have the things we need but also making sure we can commit to daily long walks and the routines that she will need when she's here), which is extremely exciting, although slightly scary too! We want a BC for many reasons, but one of them is that I spend many hours each day outdoors, and I want a dog who will thrive with lots of daily exercise. I'm looking forward to doing some personal agility training when she's old enough, but I think the thing I'm looking forward to most is the walks, and playing with her in wide open spaces. Lucy doesn't get let off the lead because my parents haven't trained her to come back when called (I did for the time I was able to, but obviously I'm now too far away) which means she has missed out on that really important experience. I want to make sure that we can teach our puppy the safety commands necessary from early on, because I really don't want her to miss out on these experiences too.

Other things about me that don't involve dogs...

I'm currently studying social sciences with The Open University, but my plan is to go to university in London in a couple of years to do an anthropology degree. Most of my time right now is spent studying, bird-watching, making all sorts of things, reading and planting things. Unfortunately I've spent my whole life so far very ill, so I'm not able to work and need to use an electric wheelchair outside. I'll definitely be looking out for any tips about training our puppy to walk next to my wheelchair! Lucy always heeled when outside with me in a way she doesn't do with people who are walking. I'm not sure why, because I didn't really have to train her to do it (although I did put the command on it so that she understood what I meant if I did need her to be closer), so I'm hoping our little one will take to it fairly easily too.

Well, I think that's enough babble! It's amazing finding a group of people who are as passionate about training dogs (for the right reasons) as I am. :)
wickedhippy

Re: Hello :)

Post by wickedhippy »

Hi! And welcome to the forum! :)
"If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies" ~ Anonymous
Creator of the We Love Victoria Stilwell Fan Site http://victoriastilwellfans.webs.com/
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

Welcome.
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
Scorpiod

Post by Scorpiod »

Hiya!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hello and welcome to the forums! :D Something that says "New and Improved" tells me that the old product was "Old and Lousy"! :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Hi and welcome aboard! :D