Any ideas what mix my rescue pup is?

Upload pictures of your dogs here!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

luvdogs

Any ideas what mix my rescue pup is?

Post by luvdogs »

I just read Mattie's post about Bertie, the rescue Maltese/JRT, and he looks similar to Jonty, who rescue thought was a Bichon/Poodle. He is feisty and full of energy, a real nipper who loves everyone (not just to chew on)! Jonty's hair is wavy/curly except for his plumed tail.

Here's a photo taken two days after adoption. He's closely shaved because he was in such a bad state when rescued, you couldn't tell which end was which. The vet said it took almost 3 days to shave him! That's when they discovered the spiral fracture of his tibia - which explains the wrapped leg. (It has since healed.)

This is my first attempt at posting a picture so if it doesn't appear, I'll try again.

Thanks for any breed ideas!

Jonty's mom

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/52432 ... .jpg[/img]
little ragamuffin by CocoVanGogh, on Flickr[/url]
MPbandmom

Re: Any ideas what mix my rescue pup is?

Post by MPbandmom »

He is very cute! I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what mix he is. I am a dog newbe.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

You know, I'm thinking he may have a little Jack Russell Terrier in him from a little bit of his looks and the description of his activities? Any one else see JRT in him?

Either way, he's a gorgeous dog, Luvdogs! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I can say he doesn't look like a poodle/bichon mix .My best friend has one & your guy is different longer snout & ears. I'm thinking jrt/poodle as the main breeds. I could be wrong tho. :?
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Let's see, my guess would be JRT/Poodle/Terrier (not sure which terrier breed) and possibly a little bit of Golden Retriever mix in him?
luvdogs

Post by luvdogs »

Thanks for the replies! Unless a majority of posts suggest other breeds, I'm assuming he's a poodle/terrier. Would that make him a Perrier? :lol: He certainly has a "bubbly" personality (sorry for the pun)!

This Thursday Jonty and I will begin obedience training with a positive training group. They also have free "see if you're interested" flyball sessions. Since Jonty has a pretty strong retrieve/recall, we'll be checking this out too (maybe not this week, though).

Hope the first week of 2011 is a good one for all of you!
laceygraves1995

Post by laceygraves1995 »

lab bichon frise mix
luvdogs

Post by luvdogs »

Could he have Lab and still be so short?
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I'd have said terrier mix personally.
kitdragon2000

Post by kitdragon2000 »

Definitally agree with wvvdip1
wvvdiup1 wrote:You know, I'm thinking he may have a little Jack Russell Terrier in him from a little bit of his looks and the description of his activities?
he looks like a Jrt with little poodle in him. he is a handsome boy though! How did the obediance sesion go? have you tried the flyball yet?
I routinly confuse myself, my animals are the only things that keep me sane...

I have 6 kids
1 has 2 legs
The rest have four

I love them all the same.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Poodle/Schnauzer mix? He has the eyes and curly hair of the Poodle, but the angled head/long snout of the terrier.
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

I would guess terrier mix (maybe terrier/poodle or terrier/biscon). What texture is his coat? And how old is he?

Sometimes its easier to tell a dog's breed once they've grown into their adult body and they are in an unshaven coat for mixes because then you can see if it curls, waves, has bushier eyebrows, etc.
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras